BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Spinal Disorders

Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Community Member

Default Uh Oh, I cannot walk on my right heel!

OK, I have posted recently that I am currently undergoing a nice long prolonged sciatic type attack on my right side from the right belt-line down the outside of my right hip, leg, knee, ankle (front of) and foot,(funky feelings in the foot especially under the toes).
I am also scheduled for a L3-L5 right facet joint nerve block Nov 27th.

At my last PM visit the Doctor was surprised how weak my right leg had gotten but as far as doing a walk test, he did not have me do it.

I remember each time I used to go to the NS or my PM, but saw his PA first (this past visit she was not there) that they always had me walk back and forth with my shoe removed, then told me to walk on my toes, than walk on my heels.

Well, my foot pain has been increasing steadily, more so than the pelvic pain and last night was the pits. This morning I tried the walking tests and to my surprise I could not walk on my heel with my right foot! I could not even get up on my heel standing still. The front of the foot just sort of tried to lift up but would not. I have no problem with the left foot doing so.

So, I researched today for hours on what that meant, and I must be brain dead, since googling for such is rather hard and some nasty websites would google in the results when typing anything to do with heels!

Could someone please tell me what the test for walking on your heels tests for? Is that diagnostic for a certain condition?

Thanks

Jyes
Lumbar RF Abalation L3/4/5 right side Dec 07
Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Distinguished Community Member

hi jyes,
mine is the left foot. It is foot drop caused by nerve damage.

It also indicates what level is the problem from what i read. (will try to find the link but that was a couple years ago).

If you can't walk on your toes it means something else.

hopefully someone more experienced will elaborate.

hugs,
sims

on edit, here is one place that mentions it: http://www.spineuniverse.com/print.php/article2346.html

The gait should be carefully observed. Difficulty in walking on the toes suggests S1 root involvement. Difficulty with heel walking suggests L4 or L5 nerve dysfunction.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Community Member

Simby, thank you very much, it just all matches with my other symptoms, I appreciate you found the website, I just was horrible in my googling techniques yesterday!

Since my last MRI report (Aug 06) does not indicate anything serious on the right side facet joint area, I get a bit concerned over the fact the PM is pursuing the Nerve Block on L3,L4,L5 facet joints rather than thinking it is the disc. Especially since the MRI report stated the disc at L4/5 is diminished in height, has a broad based protrusion that could be accompanied by an annular tear.

Hopefully the Nerve Block will determine one of the facet joints being the source and then the following RF procedure quells the pain for quite awhile. If not, I believe than he will concentrate on the L4/5 disc and do whatever is necessary to settle the pain down, which I have no idea what that treatment would be.

I do think if the nerve block is unsuccessful, an updated MRI might be in order. I did have a traumatic experience in May when I fell flat onto my back in the bathroom, but had no pain experienced related to that fall, I did have an impact fracture and large bone contusion of the left lower femur which took 4 months to recuperate from, but never had a back or sciatic problem until the first time in PT (for the leg injury) the leg strengthening machine caused my sciatic pain to begin for the first time in almost a year.

Thanks again for the reply Sims and if anyone has any further information or websites, it would be appreciated to hear from you.

Jyes
Lumbar RF Abalation L3/4/5 right side Dec 07
Old 11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
BrainTalk Nerd/Nerdette

I don't know if this will help, yet here is one site that discusses gait:

http://www.neuroexam.com/content.php?p=38

A Hopi Elder Speaks