BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Hemolytic Anemia, pyrroleuria, and SIBO

SIBO as a cause of typically missed Hemolytic Anemia

SIBO = small intestine bacterial/biofilm* overgrowth

I made some interesting connections lately. The bacteria and fungus species that populate intestinal colonies in SIBO do so by forming biofilms (think scum that is hard to scrape off).
  • Every SIBO biofilm species I’ve looked up, fungus or bacteria, produces at least one toxin that is Hemolytic, that is, a toxin that kills red blood cells.
  • When red blood cells die, they dump their hemoglobin into the blood fluid (Blood plasma).
  • Free circulating hemoglobin is a potent neurotoxin! [Regan and Panter].
  • The excessive hemoglobin breaks down into excessive bilirubin. = jaundice or hyperbilirubinemia without liver dysfunction
  • Excessive bilirubin breaks down into excessive pyrrole. = pyroluria and B6 deficiency.
  • The red blood cell count is usually "normal" (nothing wrong with you), BUT, if the doctor checks carefully, the doctor will find the blood cells may be spherical (spherocytes), too large or small, and too young (reticulocytes).
  • The above points describe Hemolytic Anemia as a consequence of untreated SIBO. These symptoms and signs have previously been recognized as the anemia of chronic inflammation, said inflammation may now be recognized as a biofilm infection.
  • These symptoms and signs are also associated with excessive iron scavenging from food and the blood. = elevated ferritin.
  • Sometimes, as in the case of Aspergillus Niger, the toxin is also directly neurotoxic.
  • Die off of biofilm species results in sudden dumping of toxins into the body. This is the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction, the worsening of symptoms when starting a treatment.
  • Every SIBO biofilm species I’ve looked up feeds on grain starch.

Some species that form chronic, starch-loving biofilms: Pseudomonas, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Candidas, Aspergillus

Hal

*I prefer the term small intestine biofilm overgrowth, since the overgrowth is generally a mixture of fungus and bacteria cooperating in a biofilm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemolytic_anemia

Quote:
Neurotoxicity of hemoglobin in cortical cell culture.
R F Regan , S S Panter
Hemoglobin (Hb) has been demonstrated to be neurotoxic when injected into the cerebral cortex in vivo. However, associated systemic factors such as ischemia and epileptogenesis have limited investigations of Hb toxicity in the intact central nervous system (CNS). In this study, the neurotoxicity of human Hb was assessed in mixed neuronal and glial neocortical cell cultures derived from fetal mice. Exposure of cultures to Hb for 24-28 h produced widespread and concentration-dependent neuronal death (EC50 1-2.5 microM), without injuring glia. Brief exposures (1-2 h) were not toxic. Neuronal death was completely blocked by the 21-aminosteroid U74500A, the antioxidant Trolox, and the ferric iron chelator deferoxamine. The results of these experiments suggest that, in this system, Hb is a potent neurotoxin, and that Hb neurotoxicity may contribute to secondary injury processes after trauma and intracranial hemorrhage.

Last edited by halsgluten; 06-22-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Read with interest...especially the part about excess bilirubin.... thanks Hal!