BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Trigeminal Neuralgia

Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Mvd/craniotomy

05/08 Tuesday, 9:05 AM surgery. 2:15 PM recovery (painful); the worst TN pain I had along with a very sore head. BP 204/106, pulse 120... 3:20 PM ICU, neuro tests, IV bags, leg cuffs to stabilize blood pressure, hook to a bunch of stuff. From 1 -10 what is your pain level? I am crying, aren't I? The TN pain went away, I could sip thru a straw for the first time in 4 months, brush my teeth and swish and spit, I could talk with out gritting my teeth! Head hurts, why do I have a 7 inch bandage? Clear liquid supper at 6:30 PM, I cannot be elevated more than 40 degrees, who thought of this one? I took a nap for 40 minutes the first night in ICU. The 4 1/2 hour surgery was the longest sleep I had had since the middle of January.

05/09 Wednesday, 8:30 AM. My neurosurgeon gives me little tests and gets a report at how funny and likeable I am. One IV line is left in; the catheter is removed, the arterial line the pressure cuffs, ekg, etc, etc all removed. I may stand sit walk about the room and go to a regular floor after lunch. I have a regular diet...I ate...I could chew - no pain. My MVD procedure was more than I had figured, I had two quarter sized holes and a 6 1/2 inch incision. Seems my big head has a long muscular neck holding it up. My 'wiring and plumbing' is all twisted. The two surgeons tefloned 4 arteries and 2 blood vessels. Nasty headache, 3 hours of sleep no facepain!!!!

05/10 Thursday, 7:00 AM. Neurosurgeon, little tests explained more details and said I was doing so well I should be home by noon! Breakfast came and I couldn't chew, I am sobbing uncontrollably, I can't sip thru a straw, it is back to the beginning. I remembered the 'MVD DIARY'!! My doctor was there and informed me that with all the prodding and moving that I will have nerve pain for perhaps 2 months. I am also not on any nerve blockers or other meds that would have kept me in the hospital for longer.

05/11 Friday. 6:30 AM. I am sitting at my computer about to make coffee. Twinges of TN pain, annoying headache, right ear is a little plugged. I have 21 staples forming a sort of S - shape. For one month, I can't lift more than a gallon of milk or do much else; I can pray, though. And I am very grateful for all of you for the kindness and support you have all lent. Thank you each and everyone. It is good to be home.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbobsnodgrass View Post
The two surgeons tefloned 4 arteries and 2 blood vessels.

Breakfast came and I couldn't chew, I am sobbing uncontrollably, I can't sip thru a straw, it is back to the beginning. I remembered the 'MVD DIARY'!! My doctor was there and informed me that with all the prodding and moving that I will have nerve pain for perhaps 2 months.
Congrats on having come through this horrible ordeal. I can tell you that since they did find plenty of offending vessels, chances are those vessels wore away some of the myelin sheath (the insulating covering that surrounds the core of a nerve fiber and facilitates the transmission of nerve impulses). If this is the case (as it was with mine) it can take some time for the pain to subside. In my case it was about 3 months. I stayed on my meds for a long time after the surgery and only decreased them very very slowly. I'm not sure if you are referring to the MVD Diary that I wrote (in the stickies at the top of the forum) but I remember all too well....it was breakfast for me too. I took a spoonful of cereal and bam...a shock...just like before. I did my share of sobbing too. i was sure it didnt work and i did this all for nothing, but in my case that old saying "time heals all wounds" proved correct. And I am not unique either. It takes lots of us MVDers time to become pain free. Be patient and listen to your doctors and above all your body. It will tell you when you can push yourself a little and when you can't. It's all so fresh right now. Just take one day at a time. The fullness you feel in your ear will dissipate as well.
If you have any questions while you are healing, dont hesitate to ask.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 AM

HI Bob,

I'm glad your surgery went well and I hope that the remaining pain subsides soon. You have such a strong and resilient spirit that I know you will weather this well. Good luck and my prayers are with you for a quick recovery for the MVD and for a quick resolution for the tumor also.

Hug.

Alli
Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM

Thumbs up Sounds good, overall.

Hey, Bob,

Sorry we were a day off on your surgery, but sounds like, except for that blood pressure spiking, overall things went well. That's a lot of blood vessels banging on your nerve and I imagine it will be a bit angry for a while, but hope it does settle back to pain free for you for the duration.

Take it easy - having your skull opened up is quite an assault to your body and it takes a while to get all the anesthetic out of your system (I think the rule of thumb is a week of recovery for each hour you were under). You'll be tired a lot for the next month at least, so rest up and dream of pain free days ahead.

Take care!
Jean
Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 PM

bob, you sound great (Nancy leaps into air, claps hands) now just keep getting better and better. But the things that others are telling you about taking life easy and letting the anaesthetic-stress subside is right! It takes time and I don't know of any way to hurry it (hyperbaric chamber, maybe?). Sit back, do all those things you never have time to do, read books, sort socks, whatever - it's for your own good.

That's one mighty big old scar you're going to have. But unlike most of the women you don't have to worry about how long it will take your curly locks to grow back (I'm making assumptions here) so that's one less stressor you've got going for you.

Keep us all posted so that we can continue to generate congratulations or commiserations when needed. Big hug, Nancy
Old 05-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Community Member

Hi Bob, I am very glad to hear that your surgery is over. I am sure you are too You sound like a very faithful person, and as your doctor attested, funny. Rest and pray and know that the others that went through an MVD (not me) can answer your questions. I can offer you a speedy recovery and an ear to listen. Prayers that your pain is ABOLISHED !!! and now just heal and rest. Do update us when you can!!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Talking

Bob,

Thats great news!!! (I'm doing a major, major happy dance in your honor!!!) All things considered, its great that your able to post to us this soon. Take care, take it very easy, and give yourself time to heal! The hardest part is behind you.

Post when you can.....Ellena
Old 05-12-2007, 10:51 AM

Bob, I am so glad the surgery went well. Now it's time to take care of yourself and heal. Get some little things you can work on sitting down. I can't believe your up at the computer already, that's awesome. Make some lists of what you what to do when you feel well enough. Build bird houses or whatever just don't push too hard too fast. You'll pay for it the next day. Be good and keep us updated . Jen
Old 05-15-2007, 03:40 PM

I'm glad to hear your surgery went well, and that you seem to be healing fairly quickly. Don't try and push it too fast though. Take care of your self, and know that if anything happens, we are here for you!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Update

05/16 Wednesday 9:45 AM: Slow going since my last post Friday morning. Nasty headache, right ear is plugged and still have acute TN pain. The wind has been taken a bit from my sails. Other than vegging out and laying down was able to have help with grocery shopping Sunday...Belated happy Mothers' Day. Might also say that anyone with TN pain and is a mom, may God richly bless you. Not to babble, alot of strange looks from people who notice my 6 + inch scar with the 21 staples. Also, a few friends seem to want to wait until I am 'cured' or the hair grows over the wound? We are a funny culture. My greatest need has been dealing with the pain and uncertainty...one of my best resources has been at this "community". I am grateful. And Ella 138, when I woke from recovery in agony, I remembered her MVD Diary; I found solice, thanks Ella.

I thank you each and everyone. bob