BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Community Member

Hi Dave -
Your quote in post 1,239 "Epilepsy is natures method of getting rid of excess electricity in the brain." where did you hear this?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Distinguished Community Member

My husband reports that after a seizure he definitely feels better, and that there is a subtle "off" feeling before one happens. That would support the earthquake/buldup of pressure theory, and make one think that finally getting around to the sz - or the 'burp' - would be a good thing.

On the other hand to think about it differently, I have been told that the brain can learn to seize, or rather that by seizing it creates neural pathways that make it easier to do so. The longer one can keep a sz at bay, the better, because this allows the pathways to fade or become overgrown with wees or whatever image works for you. Like any skill - riding a bike, cutting an onion - we are better at it for the more practice we have.

I don't know which of these is correct, or if it is different for different people. I do know that for many people the sz itself is an inconvenient (at best) or dangerous (at worst) thing for them....
Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep4141 View Post
Hi Dave -
Your quote in post 1,239 "Epilepsy is natures method of getting rid of excess electricity in the brain." where did you hear this?
My neuro told me that the reason people have epileptic seizures is because there is too much electricity in the brain.

Since seizures discharge electricity from the brain, it seems to be a logical conclusion.

Another thing that my neuro does is to compare epilepsy to lightning.
He says that it is an exact analogy.

If that is correct, then I believe that "Epilepsy is natures method of getting rid of excess electricity in the brain" is also correct.

After all, lightning is natures method of getting rid of excess electricity in the atmosphere.

Last edited by howdydave; 07-22-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Community Member

Hi Dave -
Thank you for your response to my question from previous post.