BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 07-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default The build up

Some days I'll have several auras. Usually I'll take an extra Dilantin then but that can get me too drugged up. I have "baby" Dilantins but still, it's not good for me to always take an extra. ANYWAY, that's not the question of this thread.

Here's the question: Sometimes, if I know I have nowhere to go that day, I'll just let it slide (not take any extra). When I do, I might have more auras but it seems to me that if/when I finally have a seizure, the auras stop. It's like they were building up and the seizure satisfied them-- like a relief. Sort of like when you have indigestion and the gas builds up and you finally let out a big burp and you feel comfortable again.

Do you think a seizure is like a "burp" for your auras. Sort of like a release or relief?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 PM

Hi Sandy,

Just like you I have many auras in one day and then it will lead into an absence or cp sz. after that there's seldom anymore sz. that day. I never really thought about it but the way you have described the aura leading to a regular sz. is a lot like digestion. If I may ask have you ever noticed that you have a lot of auras at a certain time of the day or evening or are they spread out for a long period of time. I've noticed I have a lot of auras either in the early morning and then by mid day I always have a full sz. The next time you have any auras try putting a cold wash cloth on your face and neck a few times during the day and see if that will stop the full sz. Here's wishing You Well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Salsa,
You have something there. Many people here have talked of a time preceeding seizures that are definitely leading toward one. This leadup can be weeks or days long. Sometimes, even others have noticed things. Their mood, their responses, and their eyes change. A study of surgical candidates at John Hopkins showed a discernible build-up of, if I recall correctly, more than 24 hours. Another, connected to the study of earthquakes , wondered about an analogy of earthquakes to seizures. They looked at the E.E.G s of several people. Their study showed a definite buildup.

Linnie

Last edited by linniec; 07-16-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Community Member

Actually the occurrences of Aura's may signify the medication is controlling the more complex seizure(s) from occurring. As the day progresses and the body wear's down the medication is required even more to stabilize the occurrence's of seizure activity. Stay rested and don't get too "run down" in the day.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 AM

The medication may be holding back a seizure (sp or cp) but who knows what is happening to the brain itself with the unresolved buildup of all that electricity over an extended period of time?

Epilepsy is natures method of getting rid of excess electricity in the brain.

If nature gets rid of it, my guess would be that letting it build up could be detrimental.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 PM

I wish I had auras --- but you with them might say 'No Way'. I have that jamus vu (sp) & know I had a seizure. But then, maybe it happens even when I don't have a sz. Like someone said, maybe that feeling is a/the sz., sometimes. I got one the other day then a bit later my DH told me I just had a sz. If I'm alone when it happens, I don't know if I had a bigger sz. too.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 AM

Howdy Lor!

Jamais vu is a type of aura!
Well... it's one of my standard type of simple partials anyway.

"Aura" is a very vague term that can be associated with any sensation.

Simple partial and aura (as used by most people) are synonimous.
Technically, if an aura is not followed by a more severe seizure type, it isn't an aura.

Last edited by howdydave; 07-18-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 PM

I thought 'aura' was the feeling you get before the sz & 'jamais vu' was the feeling you get after the sz. I just get 'after-feelings'. Thanks. (That time my DH told me I had a sz was after I left the room & sat on my bed thinking 'exactly what happened?' "I bet I had a sz." I went back & he told me "you had a sz.")
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Howdy Lor!

"After feelings" is the post-ictal state.

Jamais vu may be a part of your post-ictal state.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Ahh yes, opps. TY again Dave