BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default CPAP sleep study

Heading for a night at a sleep clinic. They will have me on a 16 contact monitor.

Hard to explain even to my Neuro (and old Neuro at the sleep ctr). My sleep issues are not constant is the problem. Seems seasonal somewhat; but can hit anytime. Lasts from over a week to just a couple days. I tried to compare one year ago to now. No correlation on the occurrences. Last January was bad. This year I didn't have problems in Janaury. I tried comparing to changes in season or when I was stressed, even medication adjustments.

Drives me batty. I hope they can find **something** tonight. Maybe when I get off one of my 4 meds it will improve.

--Travis
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Hi Travis,

I wish you the best in the sleep study that will be done. My brother has sleep apnea and his Dr. told him that it could lead to sz. for him if he's not careful. I know that if I don't get enough sleep I always end up having sz. that day or evening. I've also had to have a sleep deprived e.e.g. done in the past and this triggers sz. for me.
Here's wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM

Well... Lets just say the clinic didn't go the best. Took a substantial time to wire me. I couldn't fall asleep that evening very well. I guess from what the tech said I showed REM sleep (bus sure don't remember any 'dreams' in it). Just falling to sleep took what seemed like a couple of hours. Woke up in middle of sleep (I NEVER do that). I woke up and was unwired around 6AM. Should find out the results from the sleep clinic in September... Don't ask why so long. I can't answer that.

--Travis
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Hi Travis,

I'm sorry things didn't go so well for you during the sleep study. I don't understand why they are making you wait so long to get the results. You might want to get a second opinion. I know when they did a sleep study on me the made me stay awake 24 hrs. before they did the study and it made a big difference in the test results. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Was told the outcome yesterday... sorry for not posting then.

Snoring exists, but is not frequent. No clinical or subclinical seizures
The tech noted a spike on the EEG, however I have ALWAYS had that spike, it is near the area the tumor was removed from... so in my case it's normal.

Due to the time I was awoken (6am!!) major finding was 'insomnia'. It took me one hour to fall asleep both times, and I was awoken early (early for me), so sleep % was low.

I say 2hrs of that 'time' is getting to sleep, that's on top of being on a foreign bed, and in a different room wired up (and in my case, lack of caffeine!!).

Looks all good. No reason for the CPAP, and not much more can be really tweaked. I go to sleep about same time daily, wake up is reasonable (9am)...so I don't think much more can be done. Will see in September.

--Travis
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Hi Travis,

I'm glad to hear that things turned out good for you in the sleep study.
My neurosurgeon told me that there are 7 different levels of sleep stages. I know when I wake up in the morning from a dream I'm exhausted. I also was told that the brain was the most active when a person is sleeping.
Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM

It gets even MORE interesting... Let me start a new thread...