BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)

Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
New Community Member

Default My right hand is swollen Dont know what to do?

My Rsd started in my foot and has spread to both hands- My right hand is now swollen below the thumb area and i dont know what to do for it-Any suggestions?

Deb
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
New Community Member

First i just wanted to say , im sorry about it spreading, mine has spread from my foot all the way to my hip and into the other thigh in the good leg. So i know its not a easy thing to handle when it taking a mind of its own!

have you tried soaking your hand in a warm bath with epson salt in it? The salt soothes the nerves and helps with the pain levels and the swelling too.. this might also stop it from spreading or getting worse. My doc swears by them and when i thought it was spreading to my good foot i soaked it all the time for hours at a time, and right now, its not in my foot!!! just evreywhere else... grrr..

Has your doc said anything aobut doing a block for your hand?? if its in the early stages, a block my help!! i dont know what i would do if it went in to my hands.. and would do any and evrething to try and get it out of them...

Ok.. gotta go to the pharmacy.. talk to you all later!!

Amber
Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 PM
New Community Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that- I am way to late for nerve blocks to help- I have had this for about 8 years but only got bad in the las 3 years after having a hip replacement

Deb
Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 AM
New Community Member

Default Rsd Sucks!!!

So Sorry The Rsd Is Spreading....mine Is Too..first It Started In My Left Elbow After An Injury At Work(3 Surgeries Later)it Spread To My Left Hand..the Hand Is Almost Always Swollen And Changes Colors ..the Pain Is Awful..my Only Advise Is To Keep Using It To Try To Bring Back Circulation...ice Sometimes Helps, Massaging Helps But Hurts At The Same Time..rest It Sometimes Helps Too So You See There Is Not One Thing That Really Works..combination Of It All..trial By Error..and Alot Of Prayer And Cursing..now It Has Effected My Right A/c Joint..probably From Over-use Since I Can't Really Depend On The Left For Much Of Anything..also Been Diagnosed With Fibromyalgia..which Has Found Itself A Nice Home In My Neck And My Entire Back..can't Even Wear A Bra Without Lidoderm Patches On Both Shoulders And The Middle Of My Back Also The Lower Back Has Started To Bother Me...i Have Started To Do Alot Of Walking To Try To Keep My Body In Motion (which Helps Some) But I Have To Put My Left Arm In A Sling Or The Swelling Gets So Bad..looks Like The Arm Is Going To Pop!! The Stress And Depression Have Been Causing Me To Have Mini-strokes..and Between Dr Visits And Medications I Am Spending Almost As Money As My Motrgage Payment...and That Is With Co-payments!!! Well I Was Going To Try To Start Off With Something Positive..there Really Is Nothing Positive About Rsd..from The Surgeries I Have Muscle Tendon And Nerve Damage To The Elbow Too...whwen That Flares Up It Feels Like I Stick My Finger In An Electrical Socket And Get The Shocks That Travel From My Arm To My Ears, Then Down To My Toes And Stomach Throws Up Anything I Have Eaten For The Day..which Usually Isn't Much Since I Have Not Much Of An Appetite But Can't Seem To Lose Any Weight!!!!! Enough For Now I Could Go On And On But Today Isn't A Very Positive Day For Me As You Can Tell...some Days Aren't As Bad..my Saying Is "i've Been Better And I've Worse" Hope Things Go Smoother For You..it Has Been 13 Years For Me...
Old 10-13-2006, 11:08 PM
New Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstar View Post
Well I Was Going To Try To Start Off With Something Positive..there Really Is Nothing Positive About Rsd..
Moonstar, I am sorry you feel that way. I thought that way for awhile until a realfriend told me if I didn't change my attitude and think about positive things and blessings in my life - Yes, RSD can give us blessings - that I would live a miserable life. Like I said in my last post, I changed my "stinking thinking" and slowly found blessings in the people I met here, my neighbors, books I read that allowed me to grow spiritually and emotionally. I chose to change my negative attitude to a positive one, to smile instead of frown. Don't get me wrong, I have a psych doc who wrote me over 50% disabled from depression. That was then and this is now. No one can change my life for me so it was up to me. Slowly I changed my thinking but nothing can change the pain and torture I suffer everyday. I'm not in denial about that. in fact I'm angry about it at times. But that is ok, I'm allowed that at least. I hope you wake up tomorrow with a little bit of hope that grows more and more each day. Without hope, I am doomed. I rarely get out of my house & that is a nice way to feel down and hopeless. I still miss my mom, but I know I'll see her again someday. Life is short, so we might as well make ourselves as comfy as possible. I don't mean physically because for me that isn't happening. I do enjoy reading posts even though I don't write much. I too have come out of "lurkerdom". We have a new word here !!! I gotta go cause I'm starting to think about my problems so I have to go refocus my thoughts on something else. I am greatful for you and the forums. All the best to you ... Hope