BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Child Neurology

Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
New Community Member

Question Diastat new dial packaging.. anyone familiar??

The pharmacy just called me to say that the rectal injection of diastat has discontinued that medication and have introduced a new method of administering it called the dial -a-meter ( I think) Is anyone familiar with this??? He is calling the Neuro to approve it and to get another pescription for the newer version. I was just curious if anyone has tried it and how t works compared to the old?? Also has anyone tried the nasal spray to stop seizures?? What does that consist of also??? Is it valium also?? Thank you in advance to those that answer my questions !! Mandy
Old 11-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi Mandy,
I think diastat is still administered rectally, but the dial system means that they give you a 10 mg vial and then you have to dial it down if you need to give them either 7.5 or 5 mg (if your child doesn't get the full 10). If your child gets 10 mg, like Jake, you don't have to mess with the dial, you just give them the full dose exactly like before. Does that make sense? It seems like a waste to me, but I guess it's another economically driven decision.

As far as the spray, I think it's versad and I'm curious too to hear what others have to say once they try it. I know some here are in the process of trying it.

Take care,
Amy
Amy, mom to Jake (8/21/02). Jake was 8 weeks premature and suffers from seizure disorder, hearing loss (cochlear implant), hypothyroidism, and global delays. He is a big brother to Adam (8/5/05). They are my angels!

www.carepages.com
CarePage name - JakeAnthony

Old 11-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Community Member

I have a pack sitting right in front of me. It's called Diastat acu-dial.The pharmacist will dial and lock the mg prescribed by your Dr. Works the same,just a different look. It comes in a clear plastic container rather than a box. The lubricant that comes with is also easier to open than the other.Hope this helps.

PAula
Old 11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
New Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forr2grls View Post
Works the same,just a different look.
PAula
A different look and a whole different price. I couldn't believe how much this stuff cost now because of the new package! Thank goodness for insurance.
Evan 13 yo Smart Alec.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
New Community Member

Default Thank You Gals

I appreciate your input. I am glad it works basically the same. Always hard to get used to a new situation when these seizures can get scary. I would be interested to hear from anyone using the nasal spray also, as he will try to go back to Jr.High next year. This seems more appropriate for that situation than a rectal injection. Thank you again , You guys are great here . Mandy
Old 11-06-2006, 05:21 PM

Last edited by Kamie; 12-26-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:36 PM

My neurologist said that they came up with the new packaging so they could keep their patent longer...thus keep the price up.

We just got the nasal spray last week -- it's versed not valium. We haven't had to use it yet (hopefully won't need to). It's been approved for use but no one has started manufacturing it yet. You have to find a speciality pharmacy to make it for you.
Mom to Zac (18, ADD) and triplets Noah (spastic triplegic, seizure disorder, 11 surgeries and much more), Karissa (very mild left hemiplegic) & Jazmine ("was I a preemie too?") former 27 weekers who are now 11 and in 5th grade! Where does the time go????
Old 11-06-2006, 06:40 PM

I am not a big fan of the acu-dial- just seems like one more thing that can be done wrong. Ugh. Our pharmacist does the dialing for me, although she gave me the option.

We're in the process of ordering the nasal spray. I am excited about that. We'll see how it works.

(((hugs)))

Wendy, mom to Langan, my little mystery girl born 7/19/02, has intractable seizures, global delays and CVI, vns implanted 2/10/06, on a small dose of lamictal and- as always- fighting for seizure control, and wife to Jon, the other love of my life.