BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Headache & Migraine

Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Sound Familiar To Anyone?

Hi,
I've been having these headaches that only affect me when I'm upright or active.The pain isn't constant,but there are other symptoms with it.I feel nauseated and though my arms always bother me;they hurt worse when I have these headaches.Also,my eyes hurt so bad,as if I need to wear dark shades.I've already been taking 40 mg of Inderal twice daily.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:54 AM

"spinal headache" is one for most who suffer it occurs when one is upright (not horizontal). it is caused by a lack of sufficient volume of cerebrospinal fluid in the cranial cavity. the lack is caused by the fluid leaking out somewhere down the spine due to a hole in the mininges (skin around the brain and spinal cord). so you can understand when one is upright, by gravity, more fluid which is 99% water leaks out.

there are many symptoms which appear in various fashion for whatever reason in one "leaker", as i call us, but not in another. a few symptoms manifest themselves in the eyes: pain, double vision (diplopia), sensitivity to light. other symptoms: nausea and limb neuropathies (pain, tingling, numbness). and many others.

i understand that lumbar puncture is performed on patients suspected of having Guillain-Barré Syndrome (excuse me, i checked your other posts). lumbar punctures are often the cause of a cerebrospinal fluid leak; literally the fluid keeps leaking out after the needle is withdrawn. i mention this in case you have had an LP recently.

cranial leaks are usually accompanied by clear fluid from the ears, nostrils, eyes or down throat.

confirming diagnosis of csf leaks usually is correct mr imaging or ct-myelograms, but many are cryptic (occult) and go w/out confirming diagnosis.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Good Reason Not To Have LP?!

Oh my goodness!!! No wonder I feel better when I lay down! No,I haven't had an LP as of yet,but I wouldn't be surprised if it might be one of the next tests mentioned.Maybe I'd better mention these headaches to my neuro! Would this be a good reason to consider not having an LP?! What happens if a "leaker" leaks longterm?!!