BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gifted and Learning Disabled Individuals

Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Community Member

Default anyone know of any cheat sheet type dyscalculia helps?

Hi guys, I am T. J., this is the 1st time I've ever posted to this section of the forum. Usually I am posting in the Hydrocephalus forum as I have the condition. Anyway, I am wondering is there a type of free downloadable cheat sheet with basic math procedures on it? Procedures like a complete place value chart and how to do long divsion and stuff like that?

Thanks,

T. J.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Community Member

T.J. I'm sure many people would love to find something like what you suggest. However, long division is a process with a specific algorithm. In other words, the only way to learn it is to learn the process. There are formulae charts for maths like trigonometry, geometry, calculus, etc. Has anyone ever worked with you using manipulatives that you can touch and move to help you figure out place values? Sometimes doing your problems on graph paper can help keep all the numbers in the right places and organized. The 4 squares to the inch graph paper is good. That way as you drop numbers down in long division you can easily see where they belong. Unfortunately, you can't just download basic maths into your head. It would be nice if you could, wouldn't it? I'm trying to learn Russian and am having a lot of problems with remembering the words and where the accents go. I would love to be able to just download a program and suddenly know all the words I need to know! I just don't have a very good memory for things like that any more. I've had to find ways to help me remember like rhyming things and writing the words over and over and over and then finding opportunities to use them as much as I can until they stick. I'm afraid you are going to have to find ways to compensate for your difficulties so you can learn the basics math just like I've had to do with Russian. Otherwise you will have a great deal of difficulty later on. Have you discussed what you find difficult with your parents and teacher? They might be able to help you find ways to compensate and to organize the numbers so they make more sense. Sometimes using a coloured see-through sheet over the paper you are working on or trying to read can help the numbers and letters to stay still and look clearer, too. The bright light reflecting off the white paper can make it hard to see the numbers and letters properly. If it works, then glasses with coloured lenses might help you. One of the special ed teachers at your school might have some of the coloured overlays you could use to see if a particular colour helps.
Good luck,
gracie
Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Community Member

I did find lamanated sheets that have math processes on them at Amazon.com, they are very helpful! I also use a red and sometimes blue tinted reading sheet to keep my eyes still while I try to read. No, no one has ever worked with me to use manipulatives for place value. Didn't know it was possible to learn that concept with manipulatives. I tried regular graph paper for keeping problems alighned and it didn't work real well. My visual-perceptual difficulties got in the way, but I use red and blue strips for each column and that works. I am about 3 years out of high school (got my modified deploma as I couldn't pass math class). I re-took math 2 times and still didn't pass it. Tried GED as well, did great until the math portion and because of that, I failed it. I may have to see if I can get some colored lenses for my glasses as the colored overlays do help a lot!!!!

T. J.