BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Child Neurology

Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default It has been a long time since I had time to post

We finally moved into our first new house (well not new, but new to us) in the beginning of Jan 2008. Then 2 days later, we took Jake to Michigan for 3 weeks intensive therapy. After we came home, there are a million things to do to get the house livable, like putting up blinds in the bathroom, buy furniture, assemble them, etc..... Most of our house is still empty right now, but we did manage to get the kitchen, bathrooms, and Jake’s bedroom, Jake's exercise/therapy room in clean and working condition... On top of everything, both my husband and I go to work everyday....

Jake did great as a result of the therapy; he walked almost 40 steps without assistance. Now that we have so much more rooms in the house, I am more determined then ever to get Jake to walk as much as possible in the house to build up his endurance and walking skills.

Here is the embarrassing thing, but I am sure you guys don’t mind. We lived in a one bedroom apartment for the past 5 years so Jake’s bed was always right next to ours. Now we have a 3 bedroom house, but guess where are we sleeping at night???? Yeah, in Jake’s room. Jake sleeps fine at night; he doesn’t need any medical attention. But I feel better hearing him breathing and turning at night…if that makes any sense… but we can’t sleep on the floor next to his bed forever, we have to move out at some point!! Help me ……please…
Jenna - Mom to Jake, 7 years old, big brother to Max. Jake has dandy walker variant, CP, global developmental delay, but he works hard everyday to be the best that he can be, and we are very proud of him.

My blog "Follow Jake".
Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Congrats on the house!! And Jake walking! That's great. When Katie was an infant we pretty much co-slept. She started in her cradle next tom y bed and when she woke up to nurse after a couple hours, she was in the bed with me the rest of the night. When i twas time to move her out of my bed, it was scarey! We got a video baby monitor. It sits beside my bed and I can see every move and hear every breath all night long! It's on every night even though it doesn't need to be!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 PM

I second the baby monitor.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 PM

I think you might need to invest in a baby monitor if not a video monitor....change is hard to get used to, even if it's the parents who need to!!! Congrats on the new, bigger place!!

Hugs,

Debi
Old 02-03-2008, 11:14 PM

You aren't used to all the distance. I remember when Carly was in a bedroom further away. Right now, she's downstairs and we are upstairs. I can hear her very well.

Get a monitor and get a visual one - you can see him as well as hear him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Deborah, mom to Carly, 18, genetic problems (possibly) resulting in developmental disabilities and autistic tendencies, growth hormone deficiency; Jeremy, 16, terriffic kid; ,Manny, loveable golden retriever,2; and wife to Duane for 25 years
Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 PM

Well I dont have a visual one Jenna, but I do have Amandas monitor that you are welcome to if you want them. I could hear every breath she took from my room and her monitor was on the other side of her room. So if you want it.. to try out, just let me know. I would love for you to have it if it would make you feel a little more comfortable... Just let me know. And if you would rather have the video monitor I will certainly understand.

Carrie.

And Josh 21 year old brain.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 PM

I know we have to get the monitors, that is on the list of things to get...

Carrie thank you so much for the offer, you are so kind. I think I will need the visual one because Jake is always kicking his blanket off, I always wake up 2-3 times a night (just suddenly wake up) and check his blanket... so a visual one will let me know see if his blanket is off, right?

By the way, does anyone have any advise on the blanket issue? I think this is one of the reasons why I don't feel comfortable sleeping in another room, I don't want him to sleep in the cold all night if I don't see his blanket if off.
Jenna - Mom to Jake, 7 years old, big brother to Max. Jake has dandy walker variant, CP, global developmental delay, but he works hard everyday to be the best that he can be, and we are very proud of him.

My blog "Follow Jake".
Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Welcome back Jenna, and congrats on the new house!! Glad to see you back!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 AM

Smile

Jenna, What I did with my boys when they were little was put a thin pj's on them then put a blanket sleeper OVER it. So they had double set on. That kept them warm. I learned that from a family I used to babysit when I was a teen. I wish I could do that with Noah now. He is wild in is sleep and often doesnt have a blanket on and my house gets down to the 50's and he sleeps on the floor in the living room. A lot of times he'll use a sleeping bag but I have to keep on him about keeping it zipped and staying IN it.

Bec mentioned once about sewing 3 sides of thier blankets together or velcroing it to his bed so the blankets stay on over him.

Welcome back. Congrats on the new house. I hope the training went well also.
HUGS,
Gina Marie
Gina Marie - Gorlin Syndrome also know as BCCNS, GERD, DDD, asthma,possible seizures, migraines, neurogolical disorders - Mom to : Nathan -ADHD Caleb- ADHD,asthma Adam - Gorlin Syndrome - BCCNS, ADHD,Chiari Malformation,PDD-NOS, emotional/behavior issues and Noah - Gorlin Syndrome -BCCNS, ADHD, bronchial stenosis, asthma, Chiari Malformation. Adam and Noah's CaringBridge site..
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahhaugh
Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 AM

No problem at all Jenna. Just wanted to let you know I had a set if you wanted them. I finally turned them off about 2 weeks ago just so I didn't hear the silence in her room. But I agree, you have to do what you need to do to make YOU feel comfortable. And visual is always a winner to me.

HUGS

And Josh 21 year old brain.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]