BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > BrainTalk Community Support > Forum Feedback

Forum Feedback Forum Feedback is a place to discuss general ideas about the BrainTalk Communities - a place to ask any questions you may have, to talk about things you like, things you don't like, new ideas about how our community may grow, and new features you'd like.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
Yes, I have been working on solutions since the second week of June, when I was forced to take the forums offline to protect the database....

That description was meant to address the hypothetical....
And my laugh was of the good kind. You made me smile.

You posted here that you were forced to take the forums offline to protect the database. Does this mean the database is safe and will be reinstalled at some point? There is a lot of discussion going on right now on the board about this. You certainly could throw water on that fire by confirming.

Another comment if I may:

mmcc, sometimes you just have to be direct. I see nothing inflammaory about your statement and question about the appropriate way to ask a question of the moderators. I hope you get an answer soon.

A good day to all

Multiple Sclerosis and Trigeminal Neuralgia - Currently on Tysabri
Old 10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator/Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Joy* View Post
And my laugh was of the good kind. You made me smile.

You posted here that you were forced to take the forums offline to protect the database. Does this mean the database is safe and will be reinstalled at some point? There is a lot of discussion going on right now on the board about this. You certainly could throw water on that fire by confirming.

Another comment if I may:

mmcc, sometimes you just have to be direct. I see nothing inflammatory about your statement and question about the appropriate way to ask a question of the moderators. I hope you get an answer soon.

A good day to all
Thanks Joy, its good to know I make at least one person smile here.... ~>

As for the BrainTalk Communities forum database, I can only report what I know to be fact. I can't get significantly farther away from the physical database, and still stay in the continental US. So I am disadvantaged by the fact that I can not see/tough the actual server. I will tell you what I do know.

BTC has backup disks of the vBulletin database from June 10th. As long as we have those disks, there is always hope. However, if my understanding of the situation is correct, John Lester is being very careful about not rushing the total restoration of these forums to avoid any problems.

Late last sunday or early monday, depending on your time zone... John was working in the administrator controls as I pinged him in an IM. We had a brief chat, and he said to me that he was going to quit for the night, that he was afraid that out of exhaustion that he would do something wrong & bring the whole thing down.......

John will not be rushed when he thinks that slow, careful, and focused attention is needed. So give him the time do things right. Yes, unfortunately he, right now is the only administrator that has the access to complete this task, but mind you, I trust that it will get done.

To my knowledge, the database of the posts made here from March 11th, 2004 until June 10th, 2006 are protected and safe. You members are right, what makes BTC the wonderful resource it is, is our collected database & all the users that gave their information & support to the community. At BrainTalk Communities, we hold these assets to be our treasure, our soul if you will. To BTC Inc, there is nothing more important, or holds a higher priority than the protection & survival of these treasures we hold so dear.

Please be patient. The restoration of the BrainTalk Online Community is being done in carefully planned stages. Each being done when the last has shown to be stable.

Those that have experienced the downtime of these communities in the past might note that each one was followed by an evolution in some way. I, for one am excitedly waiting in anticipation for another possible leap forward. Say perhaps, and I speculate only, the archival of the forum database preceding the switch to vBulletin in March of 2004 that as I understand it, still waits on a shelf, anxiously hoping for a way to be imported into a php format that would be compatible with vBulletin....
Old 10-07-2006, 04:18 PM

Thank you for this update on the database.

Patiently waiting...ok, sometimes not so patient
Anne
Old 10-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
Those that have experienced the downtime of these communities in the past might note that each one was followed by an evolution in some way. I, for one am excitedly waiting in anticipation for another possible leap forward. Say perhaps, and I speculate only, the archival of the forum database preceding the switch to vBulletin in March of 2004 that as I understand it, still waits on a shelf, anxiously hoping for a way to be imported into a php format that would be compatible with vBulletin....
Thanks David, for this promising update. Hope springs eternal.

Sally
Old 10-07-2006, 04:36 PM
New Community Member

Default Thanks David!

David, thank you for the update! I'm impatient too, but I'm glad John is trying to take things carefully. I'm sure Braintalk will evolve into something even better. I've seen it happen throughout most of Braintalk history (since 1996.) I have faith in it.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up Thank you David....

for this update.

The database is important to me, and many others here.
But also the explanations, and your efforts here to improve communication and
use of this board, are invaluable.

Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Also thanks for the update.

This kind of communication is invaluable, and should continue. It does not even matter if some of it is in the realm of speculation; the act of communicating in a non-obfuscating way is what is most important.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
This kind of communication is invaluable, and should continue. It does not even matter if some of it is in the realm of speculation; the act of communicating in a non-obfuscating way is what is most important.
Just don't treat this as a promise or gaurantee that everting will be successful. My words on the status of the database are relayed to you from the information I have received about what we are trying to accomplish.

"No battle plan survives 1st contact with the opposition."

Let's hope our battle plan to archive the database succeeds in spite of whatever challenges come our way....
Old 10-07-2006, 05:55 PM

David,

What about an offsite backup of the database? I know there are many out there who have server space and would not have a problem helping out with donating hard drive space for this. (I and my husband included).
Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamie View Post
David,

What about an offsite backup of the database? I know there are many out there who have server space and would not have a problem helping out with donating hard drive space for this. (I and my husband included).
Right now, backups are made onsite and copies are taken to an offsite location.

Yes, we will be looking into server redundency. That is all I can say at this time.

As for having people volunteering to store database backups, that would not be possible due to BTC Inc.'s Privacy Policy...