BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Spinal Disorders

Old 02-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Community Member

Arrow Overdue Update & Visit

Good Lord! I don't check in for a week and there is a lot to catch up on!

First of all, I want to thank everyone that answered my previous posts on the myelogram, etc. I did read them all and will be discussing any and all issues brought up with my doc. This past week was a real shitter. Long story short....

I had my Myelogram and MRI w/ and w/o contrast last Monday morning. Myelo was not bad at all really...not any worse than getting a lumbar ESI, I thought at least. But then I got hit with a stomach bug 24 hours later and was thankfully able to keep things down until Thurs (sorry..LOL). I think, because of the bug, I was not clearing things out as quickly (even though I was drinking and peeing-a-plenty...LOL) so I was feeling some major pain (both muscle tightness and nerve pain when I got up to pee) until Friday, when I finally was able to eat a full meal As soon as everything "let loose" I started feeling better. Maybe I should have just let it "go" sooner...LOL

I pretty much did nothing but sleep since Mon Nice break for me at least...LOL Thank God for my wonderful hubby, Jared. Don't know what I'd do without him. On the brightside, I lost 7 pounds...LOL...which I'm sure will all come back Oh, yeah, can't forget the pinkeye I managed to get as well...LOL

I have my follow up with my NS Tues to discuss results. And based on what he said last time, and what my films still look like, it looks like he'll be going posterior. Unless something else changes.

Speaking of change, I did notice what I felt to be a significant change on my T11/12 just from Dec. I felt there had been a change recently because of more pain, etc. If anyone is interested, I can put some of the pics up here this week. It's too late tonight and I'm still pretty tired, but I can in a few days if you'd like.

Sorry I haven't been posting, I hope everyone is doing fine and I'll be back to posting more regularly when I feel 100%

DX's: L4/5 herniation ('98), DDD, DJD, T11/12 herniation w/endplate changes & 10% wedging/focal kyphosis/canal stenosis, cervical spondylosis C4-6, endplate changes L1-S1, L4/5 reherniation ('08), L5/S1 canal stenosis/central herniation ('08). Surgeries: Failed L4/5 IDET ('99), Failed L4/5 open microdiscectomy ('00), L4/5 TLIF (April '08).
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Shanti, sorry you have been under the weather. It is good to hear the test went without any real problems. I hope your doctor has good enough info to make the right approach to your surgery. Thoracic surgeries are difficult and even though th posterior makes it easier on you the risk and danger is the same. it is such a blessing when it works the way it is supposed to work. Good luck with the appointment.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Community Member

Thanks bunches Mark

Right now we're just dealing with the lumbar, he just wanted to take a look at the t-spine since he saw that herniation, etc. and I was already having the Myelo done. I got copies on disc and took a peak at the t-spine and compared it to the one in Dec. out of curiosity.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow at the appt.

Hope you have a great night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
Shanti, sorry you have been under the weather. It is good to hear the test went without any real problems. I hope your doctor has good enough info to make the right approach to your surgery. Thoracic surgeries are difficult and even though th posterior makes it easier on you the risk and danger is the same. it is such a blessing when it works the way it is supposed to work. Good luck with the appointment.

DX's: L4/5 herniation ('98), DDD, DJD, T11/12 herniation w/endplate changes & 10% wedging/focal kyphosis/canal stenosis, cervical spondylosis C4-6, endplate changes L1-S1, L4/5 reherniation ('08), L5/S1 canal stenosis/central herniation ('08). Surgeries: Failed L4/5 IDET ('99), Failed L4/5 open microdiscectomy ('00), L4/5 TLIF (April '08).
Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 AM

Shanti, Glad to hear you don't need to tackle the thoracic spine yet. It can be exciting as you prepare for surgery thinking about the chance to be better for the first time in years. I hope you have great results as my lumbar fusion has been a great success for me.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Community Member

Thanks Mark

I sure hope I get the results I hope for, but I know there are no guarantees. One minute I am nervous, the next excited. This will be my biggest surgery so far. He said about 5 hours. He is going with the TLIF and we are scheduled for April 10th.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 AM

Shanti it will be here before you know it. Five hours isn't bad as my lumbar took 11 hours since I had a 360. Of course part of the long process was how meticulous my OSS was. I didn't need any blood and my hardware still looks perfect to this day.

There are success out there and some, like mine, are very successful even years later. Make your list of things to have ready for going into the hospital along with things you need after you get back home. Fresh batteries for the remotes, organize your dvds etc, pre-cook some meals to just reheat, etc. There are som many things to prepare for if you think about it. Just make a list and add to it as you think of things. I wish you the best and hope this time next year you are wondering why you didn't do it sooner.