BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Spinal Disorders

Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Community Member

Thumbs up twins225 Doing Great - Thoracic Fusion Recovery Update

hi everyone! i hadn't posted an update in a while about my recovery, so i thought i would do so, for those of you interested to know.

first, i am sooooo excited to say that i have only taken ONE 7.5mg percocet yesterday and only 1 today so far (and it is after 2pm)!!! i was taking 10mg every 5-6 hours for a full 2 months!! i feel that is a HUGE step in my recovery. and i haven't needed to take any valium for spasms since last week!!!!

i am also sleeping through the night, without the assistance of pain medication OR sleep aids! i wake up in the mornings feeling refreshed and literally PAIN FREE. of course, once i have showered, dressed myself, and helped my husband get our 3 year old twins dressed and ready for preschool, i am definitely tired and a little achy. but not to the point where i run to the medicine cabinet for pain meds.

i had been taking cymablta 60mg for 2 months after surgery, because i was so distraught from our tragic accident and the realization of my life changes ahead. i was emotionally a mess and disconnected. i am now starting to back that down to 60 mg every other day! and i still feel great!!!

i had a ct scan last week, but i won't find out the results until my dr's appt in 2 weeks. i will also have an xray then too. that appt will be my 3 MONTH post-surgery appointment. i will find out how my back is healing and hopefully everything is FUSING on track!!! i will find out about pyhsical therapy then too and i might be able to starting driving again soon???

i will post another update after my next appointment on 2.26.08.
please keep your fingers crossed for me and keep me in your prayers!!

i am overall doing great...it is amazing what the body can recover from...i am soooooo LUCKY!!

thanks for you support,
rebecca
Read My Survival Story...Visit my Blog
Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Distinguished Community Member

rebecca, it is great news you are doing so well. It was such a big surgery that you never knew if scar tissue or anything else could be causing trouble. Thankfully you don't have those problems and seem to be on your way to having the accident and its aftermath just a bad dream. I hope you have years of good health and can avoid any accidents in the future.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Smile

I'm glad to see your are doing well. That is a dreaded surgery for most back patients. I am amazed that you are only a little tired after taking care of twins.

Keep up the good outlook.
Maggie
Retired nursing professor of 18 years. Cervical herniations. Five lumbar surgeries 1995-2005. Morphine pump for 5 years, removed due to s/e. Ulnar Nerve decompression and Trapezemetacarpal interfusion 2007. Adult onset scoliosis.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:39 PM

Rebacca, that's great news!

Consider yourself fortunate, in a strange way, that you could avoid the thoracotomy and that they could fix your spine with posterior fusion. Regardless, it is still a major surgery, and take your time recovering and do not rush into anything. Best, -Ozgur.
Submuscular Right Ulnar Nerve Transposition Jul'07
Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Community Member

That's so great to hear, Rebecca!!!! I'm so happy for you

DX's: L4/5 herniation ('98), DDD, DJD, T11/12 herniation w/endplate changes & 10% wedging/focal kyphosis/canal stenosis, cervical spondylosis C4-6, endplate changes L1-S1, L4/5 reherniation ('08), L5/S1 canal stenosis/central herniation ('08). Surgeries: Failed L4/5 IDET ('99), Failed L4/5 open microdiscectomy ('00), L4/5 TLIF (April '08).
Old 02-12-2008, 02:55 AM

Rebecca,

Such wonderful news, I am so happy for you and your family!! Remember to still take care of yourself as you are still healing.

My prayers for your continued recovery,
Kathy

The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time................Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 PM

Rebecca,

This is wonderful news. You have been through allot. You are such a strong women.

Take care of yourself and the family,
Jim
Old 02-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Woo Hoo, Twins, most excellent news! I am amazed that you are doing so well after a 7 (!!) level T surgery! All that musculature they disrupted...

Are they going to put you in PT eventually?

Anyway, you are my hero. Just amazing. Take care of yourself and continued good luck to you!
Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Good to hear you are doing well. Plesae keep us posted. WOW, that is some surgery you had! GOOD LUCK to you!
Sandra~~Dx-2004-Osteoarthritis (DDD). ACDF C6/C7 on 11/6/08 w/PEEK Cage and generous foraminotomies. Protrusions/Herniations C2/3/4/5/6Rest of spine is a mess Thoracic MRI - Small protrusion T7/8 impinging spinal cord; Lumbar MRI -2 protrusions sitting on R&L S1 exiting nerve roots.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Community Member

It is wonderful to have a positive outcome, keep up the good work, but be careful not to over do it as you start to feel better.

ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR OWN BODY!

I am truely glad that though this has been life altering for you, the Lord has blessed you by giving you a chance to enjoy the wee little ones. Hat's off to your hubby sounds like you got lucky and he loves you deep enough to help and support you, as it should be.

Best of luck, I will keep you in my prayers!