BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Spinal Disorders

Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default here's my MRI images, should i be worried??

I have posted on many sites but no one will answer my post so im trying here to get help. its a long story but i will try to keep it short.

08/08/08 driving motorbike home and someone shoots across the road in there car. i hit the side of the car at 45/50 kph. i slide up my petrol tank and hit my grion/hip/pelvis area off the handle bars. then i hit off the drivers front window pillar and then i smack off the ground hitting the back of my head. then the car ended up ontop of me. he was moving as this was happening. i was out cold for appx 40 mins.

because of head injury i was admitted to surgical ward. stayed in hospital for 2 weeks. heaps of pain all over my body.

had mri of lumbar spine and it came back unremarkable. left hospital and came back 3mths as out patiant, was told i was under the wrong team and should be under ortopidic team and they (surgical team) could do no more for me.
then saw a ortopidic and he told me to come back in tree months after PT. i never got PT yet and went back to ortopidic and was told to come back another 3mths later.

still no PT
some of my symptoms are:
pain and numbness across shoulders, specialy if lying down with hands above head,
severe pain in or around shoulder baldes if i try to hold up a newespaper to read.
funny sensation in some fingers loss of some power in hands.
also had to get cortizone injection in tendon in hand for trigger finger.
some loss of tast and smell. headache. buzzing in head.
breathing feels restricted somtimes. movement of head causes neck pain.
pain in right hand side of lower back above waist, wakes me up, wife says i cry in my sleep with pain.
pain accross butt and down left leg raeching toes at times. somtimes right leg is affected. numbness in feet, wet feeling in feet.front of tigh gets hot in same area all the time.
bed wetting blood in urine.
i think i have listed all symptoms.

anyway i was not happy with the treatment i was getting specially with all the probs im having so i am getting a second opinion. i asked for my mri films and was suprised to see what i belive to be a bulging thoracic disc between t10/t11 .
im no expert but compared to other peoples mri of bulging discs it looks like a bulge to me. after getting the report i noted that the report was only of my lumbar spine and not the thoracic spine.

anyway heres the link to my mri of lumbar spine if you look at the top you can see what i belive to be part of the thoracic spine the red arrow shows what i think is a bulge. i have more images if you need to see more.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/t...rispine1-1.jpg

please if any of you have simmaler symptoms or mri pics please tell me what you think. i also have insomnia.
yours hopefully
nosleep.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM

Red face

can nobody see what i see.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 PM

37 people viewing and no reply's.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:21 PM

I can see your MRI but I'm sorry to say I can't give you any input on it that would be worth 2cents. With the symptoms your having I would be seeing someone else,, even just a Internal med doc to start because the wetting the bed and blood could be kidney damage more than due to your spine. All the stuff you have going on really seems like you need another MRI and a differnt doctor.
I hope someone else can give you some help on reading the MRI.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Hi there, "Sleepless at BrainTalk"...

Please be patient when you seek answers and information; some of "us" don't log onto our computers until evening or maybe not for a couple of days at a time. Many people have seen your post, and probably inspected your MRI, too, but perhaps they don't have an answer. Would you rather have several replies that are merely a series of simple guesses or a thoughtful reply from someone who took a little time to consider what he would say before he rattled off his personal observation?

That said, I can certainly see the several bulges you've pointed out with the arrows...

From what I see, the bulging discs don't appear to be compressing the dural sheath area very much, but everyone's reaction and sensitivity is different. MRI's are usually done with the patient in a horizontal position, and the disc bulging can look much different when the patient stands up and imposes his body weight upon the discs; the amount of your body weight will have a large effect the condition and appearance of the discs, particularly the Lumbar discs.

A little more background information would certainly help illuminate your situation; your age, height/weight, and some of your personal background could assist everyone in considering a reply. Have you frequently engaged in heavy physical labor? What circumstances exacerbate the painful symptoms? What relieves the symptoms? What tests have you had besides the MRI?

You help us with more background, and we'll all be better able to help you.

Much love and
Regards from,
Ponyguy. 1991: "Classic" Laminectomy L5-S1. 1993: Microdiscectomy L4-5. 1995: Foraminotomy L4-S1. 1997: DX'd L4-5 Spondylolisthesis & L5-S1 Retrolisthesis. 1999: Fighting Fusion Surgery. 2001: L2-3-4-5-S1 Decompression and posterior hardware; 2 rods, 10 (count 'em!) Pedicle screws. 2002: L2-3-4-5-S1 Anterior Fusion postponed again! 2003: Loose pedicle screws at L2 and L3; now what? 2004: Cervical spondy and stenosis. 2006: Heart attack. 2007: Quad CABG. 2008: Arthur² 2009: L1-S1 fusion revision.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 PM

no sleep, sorry to hear of your accident and the resulting symptoms. You definitely are not getting the treatment you should. I can't really say much about your MRI because what looks like a bulging disk to laymen may just depend on the slice shown. However, your doctor should be willing to explain what you see on the MRI. I hope your doctor will look at the MRI with you and explain what it is showing.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 AM

Nosleep,

Did you also have a C-spine MRI? Also, do you have the axial slice images of the thoracic and lumbar levels you are concerned with? The axial images tend to show more detail because they show a close up view of the spine and spinal cord from a worms-eye-view instead of from the side (sagittal view).

The symptoms you describe regarding the pain, numbness, and stuff with your arms and shoulders sounds like you could have something going on with your neck. If you have not had an MRI of your C-spine, it might be a good idea to request one. As for the insomnia, I've been dealing with it for years now. Whether it's because of pain or because of meds, I don't know, but it's horrible. It doesn't matter how fatigued and physically spent I feel, I'm still not able to get a decent night's sleep.

Best wishes,

Kim
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 AM

thanks for all the replys im seeing someone on the 23rd of this month. i only had mri of lumbar spine and report was for lumbar spine also.
i will post as soon as i know more.
thank you very much for your replys
yours
no sleep.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 AM

I hope you find the doctor will answer your question about the thoracic spine you pointed out. Good luck with the appointment.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Community Member

Hi No Sleep,

Hopefully I can help some. I am so sorry to hear all you are dealing with

The scans aren't all that clear, but from what I can see...there definitely appears to be a bulge of some type at T10/11, as well as T9/10. To me the T9/10 looks like it is flattening the cord quite a bit more than T10/11. But again, these aren't very clear (and the scan cuts off right at that point), and I'm not a professional. Just basing this on my own experience with my T11/12 and my huge stack of MRI's over the last 11 years. LOL I think most of us end up being better at reading our scans than the docs...LOL The other lumbar discs, I can't say. I have several that look the same and have never been remarked on in 11 years. However, that said, they missed the herniation in my L5/S1 for years! I kept saying to my husband for over 7 years, "Doesn't that look like a herniation to you?" I was right this whole time! It makes sense to some other pain I was/am having. But my fusion hasn't helped a whole lot. Really only the severe leg issues I was having were helped 75%. Back pain is where it was before I blew the L4/5 severely, so I am happy being where my pain was manageable with the meds.

What's frustrating is that you can have the same radiologist look at the same film and give you 2 different readings because they are going through so many films. It wasn't until my pre-op scans (CT Myelogram and MRI w/contrast) for my L4/5 fusion that they dx'd the L5/S1. That has since been getting progressively worse since the fusion and I also feel as though something is happening at L3/4 as I've been getting shooting pains to my ribs/sides, etc. The whole step ladder thing I'm guessing. It just seems to be happening a wee bit faster...LOL But I also have extensive family history of spinal problems, and, I did get shuffled around a bit at a concert recently, but I am 1 year out from surgery so.....I don't know. I was to have my 1 year appt the 14th (Tues) but they called late Friday to tell me my consult expired a couple weeks ago and now they can't get me in until the end of May. Argh!

I wish you well, and please keep us all posted! Hope I helped some??

Many hugs!

DX's: L4/5 herniation ('98), DDD, DJD, T11/12 herniation w/endplate changes & 10% wedging/focal kyphosis/canal stenosis, cervical spondylosis C4-6, endplate changes L1-S1, L4/5 reherniation ('08), L5/S1 canal stenosis/central herniation ('08). Surgeries: Failed L4/5 IDET ('99), Failed L4/5 open microdiscectomy ('00), L4/5 TLIF (April '08).