BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 08-07-2011, 02:10 AM
New Community Member

Default Haven't been here for awhile and have some questions

First a very, very brief synopsis of my epilepsy: Grand mal seizure in approx. 1978. (Passed out, ambulance to hospital the whole nine yards) I could have had earlier seizures I wasn't aware of. ( I fell down the basement stairs on a concrete floor when I was very young.) Was told I had a "seizure disorder" and to take these pilles - which were tegretol and come back in a year. So I did and my EEG (or is that EKG? ) was normal, so I stopped the pills on my own. Had my first child in 1980, pregnant with my second one in 1982 and had another seizure. When she was born, I went back on meds - tegretol first (I hated that) and then I switched doctors and I went on pheno. Everything seemed to be going okay. Fall of 2003, I was driving to work and I had one of those abdominal seizures? Is that what they're called? It was frightening. I think I knew what it was, but refused to believe it. So, after more testing I was taken off pheno and put on carbatrol. I'm on carbatrol 300 mg twice a day now. I'm leaving a lot out, but that's the basics.

#1 Can you tell the difference between a panic attack and a seizure? Since I had that seizure when I was driving I sometimes feel the same (almost) if I'm in a lot of traffic or just thinking about it. It's scary. I don't think it's a seizure because I just feel light headed and kind of queasy. I think I scare myself. If you were with me and I didn't say anything you wouldn't be able to tell at all. I just grip the steering wheel real hard (got that idea from this forum) and pull over until it passes. My neuro is unsure too. He gets panic attacks at times too. I guess I would have to be hooked up to a machine to really tell?

#2 I think carbatrol is making me dumber than I really am. It's getting so I can't think of the right words to say and things come out wrong. It's very frustrating and scary - early alzheimers? I am not always that way, but it seems to be happening more and more. Any suggestions for better drugs? Ha Ha Ha! I never had this problem with the pheno.

Thanks for any answers or insights. I need to make an appt to see my neuro, but I thought I would come to the people who really know what's going on.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi Patty Anne,

Welcome to the forum! I'm no neuro but I'm wondering if you are having simple partial seizures also known as aura seizures when you feel light headed and queasy. I know that when I have an aura sz. I get a nervous feeling in my stomach and sometimes I will see colors flashing back and forth in my eyes but I'm conscious the entire time.That's when I tighten up all the muscles in my body and if I do it in time it will stop the aura sz. from going into a absence (petit mal) or complex partial sz.

I've never taking carbatrol so I can't help you in that area but what you might want to ask your neuro to do is a DNA test on you and they can find what AED (seizure med) would be the best help for you with the least side effect. This is what I had done after trying so many AED's and finding out nothing really worked that well. I am drug resistant.

In regards to your speech it's the left side of the brain that controls a person speech in most cases sometimes it can be split and on both sides of the brain. You can have a wada test done to find out what's going on in that area. Often AED's and epilepsy can cause some people to be forgetful because yrs. of sz. cause the hippocampus of the brain to shrink and become hard causing short term memory loss. Also it's been proven that cell phones are causing memory loss because of the frequency they are in. I won't use a cell phone at all it triggers sz. for me. I'm cell phone sensitive so when I'm around people who are using their cell phones it triggers sz. for me. I found this out from my Epileptologist.

Start taking vitamin B12 or B complex vitamins once a day. I've found that taking vitamin B12 has been a big help reducing my sz. When you see your neuro. ask for another e.e.g. to be done along with an MRI. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Howdy Patty-Anne!

I'm not familier with carbatrol.

"Dumb pills" for me were pheno and other barbiturates.

Each seizure damages brain synapses.

All AEDs are bound to have an effect on brain functions since they directly effect the functioning of the brain itself.

I never had panic attacks.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 AM

I have simple partial seizures which just involve a pulsing type sensation down my right arm due to a left sided cavernous haemangioma. I sometimes use the wrong word and this occured prior to being on medication. It is frustrating and my family laughing at me, especially the children which really peeves me off. I figure just because I'm their mum, doesn't mean that they don't have to be respectful. Currently on Tegretol and Epilim.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 PM
New Community Member

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I am going to write down some notes and take them with me at my next appt.

Porkette and Howdydave, you both helped me out several years ago, when it felt like everything that could go wrong was! I think I remember a Roz back then too.

Again, thanks so much and if there's anything else you can think of let me know.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Patty-Anne, I was only diagnosed less than two years ago. I used to hang around the Gluten and Headache forums though.