BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Multiple Sclerosis

Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 PM
New Community Member

Exclamation Anemia

It's been a while since I've been around here. I hope everyone is doing well. And/Or at least hanging in there alright.
As for myself, my disease continues to progress. All I can do is hold on tight. I received word on Monday from my Neurologist, who had ordered some blood tests, thaatI came up a seriously anemic and to make an apointment with my PCP which I have done and will see tomorrow.
I remeber reading something about MS and anemia and the two being common whith one another. Is this just all in my head or is it for true? I don't understand. I take a multi- vitamin. I take a B complex and Omega 12, so I figure the vitamins are covering me and I thought we'd been eating balanced meals.
Can anyone she some light on this beofre my appointment at 3:00 EDT Tomorrow after noon?
I sure thank you all for listening.
Abigail

"Obstacles are Opportunities in Disguise"
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Distinguished Community Member

I would doubt that the anemia is MS related. Although it is possible that some serious anemia conditions could mimic MS symptoms.

This is definitely something that needs immediate diagnosing. I would say that it is so important that a brief hospitalization to discover what is causing your "seriously anemic" condition could be a wise option.

I hope your PCP will both treat and diagnose you without a hospital stay tomorrow.

I have posted that some women have been reported to have excessive bleeding during menses because of high MMP-9s levels common to MS.

This is also why I think that MS folks should not give blood. It may be that the folks getting the blood do not need ANYTHING that promotes further bleeding.

Braindead
Old 05-25-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Braindead...

MS people cannot give blood because they don't understand how MS is spread and why so many people are getting it...

There are different donor sites in the US. Many do not allow MS people to donate however, some do let skin, etc. be donated if you have MS.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 PM

Sorry to hear, that can make you very tired, i know there must be a herb somewhere, remember the old Geritol?

Abby
Old 05-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Community Member

I have been battling anemia alongside my MS for many years. Although there is no connection between the two, you should be aware that interferons can negatively impact your iron levels.

I have been going through extensive testing to get to the root of my anemia which does not respond to food or oral iron tablets. I was tested for Celiac disease and had an upper endoscopy with biopsy of the small intestine. Both were negative.

For now we are calling it the broad "anemia of chronic disease". For some unknown reason, I just do not absorb iron like normal people. I am being treated with IV iron, and am looking forward to feeling warm and energized very soon!
" Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"