BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Endocrine and Gland Disorders (e.g., Thyroid and Pituitary)

Endocrine and Gland Disorders (e.g., Thyroid and Pituitary) Issues dealing with Endocrine/Gland disorders and how they relate to neurological disorders.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:36 PM
New Community Member

Exclamation Need Help for Mom with Celiac

Hi: Have not been here for a few years, but found it in my bookmarks.
We're having a problem and need some suggestions for it.
My Mom is 81, has had Celiac for 17 years. She has had about two episodes of apparently getting some gluten, one resulted in needing Steroids. The last one was maybe six months ago, and she recovered without help. We thought she was doing fine.
Lately she has been having diarrhea from many foods, and lots of pulling feelings or activity in her abdomen. She had a colonoscopy, endoscopy and biopsy. The only finding was minor gastritis. They also gave her an abdominal CT scan, which was clear. They very stupidly just now ordered a parasite test (obviously should have been done a long time back.)

I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I got her off a certain Rice milk which was not gluten free, and she has stopped nearly all dairy. She still has this problem, but only been off the Rice milk one week, and still has been eating some homemade GF bread with cheese in it (therefore dairy).
We dont know what area to look at for possible causes of the tummy trouble, and she is running out of knowing what to eat as well. She is tiny enough as it is, and doesnt need to lose more weight or energy.

I'm seeing other Celiacs complaining of this same sort of thing (note most of the diarrhea is first thing in the morning.) I also have read a tiny bit on Casein, but have no clue on how an allergy is detected.

We really need some ideas to go on. Mom is upset, not feeling well and gets very confused if I throw too many ideas at her, but she really needs to focus on something in order to solve this. I guess we become our own detectives, because unless the parasite test is positive, the doctor doesnt even want to see her until February.

thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi Emma,

I happened to stumble in this forum because of an old link. This forum has the same forum number as the OLD Celiac Disease/Gluten Sensitivity fourm used to have.

You might want to post this question in the in the current CD/GS forum.

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...play.php?f=152