BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Public Service Ads

We need some PS ads out there. Not too long ago, I had a seizure at the grocery store. Someone stayed by me during the seizure, but when it was over they asked if I was ok, I nodded and they left.

Well, I may have nodded I was ok...but I wasn't. I was wandering the grocery aisles very confused for about the next 5 minutes or so. (Post ictal). That's very eerie and then there's always the fear that I'll go into another seizure.

People need to know stuff like this-- to stay with a person until they regain their faculties. (How's that for a $10 word)? Some good PS ads would make people more aware how to handle another person seizing.

OK, I know I'm preaching to the choir-- but it still feels good. Maybe I should send something like this into the newspaper editor-- not that anyone reads the local paper anymore.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 AM

Salsa, I was in a Wal Mart once & had a sz at the check out counter. Luckily my DD was with me & she paid, I couldn't.

But then, to speak as if I am the other guy seeing you have a sz., How do I know when you are really OK? You might say so but you are not. Or, What if I stay with you but soon you might say 'It's OK now, you can go' but really, it's not OK?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Howdy Salsa!

A bit of a stick wicket there...

How is a person to know when you have regained "full use of your facilities?"

I appear to be fully aware and functional, but my post ictal stage lasts up to 45 minutes, I will have no recollection of that entire time block. (Amnesia don'cha know...)

I asked an attorney about that state once...
He said that I was not legally responible for anything that I said or did in that state.

I nearly got arrested for shoplifting once when I was post ictal. I stuck a little jar of babyfood in my pocket!

Last edited by howdydave; 08-23-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:13 PM

Five more minutes would have been enough but that person didn't know better because the average person doesn't know that when a seizure is "over" it isn't necessarily "over." A better knowledge about epilepsy might have been helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 PM

I had a CP at my kids' school & she was with me but so was this one lady. I talked to her & then after the accual sz she guided me down to the nurse's office. I almost fell going there & had to lean on the wall. Afterwards I told myself 'you should have told her all you had to do was sit down for a bit'.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 PM
New Community Member

i had a SP at a job interview. when i was finished, the guy interviewing me looked at me perplexed, and asked if i was alright. when i was able to talk again, he was like i was about to call the paramedics. i thought that was a bit odd, considering he was a registered nurse. in any case, i got the job. point being, i tend to agree with you, if a RN was going to call the paramedics over a SP, i can't imagine the general public are anymore educated. but seeing as every individual has their own version of a simple partial, i would imagine a public service announcement, could be a bit difficult to nail spot on.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 AM

Hi Salsa,

A couple yrs. ago I had to see a new family Dr. for a check up and I had a clonic sz. in the Dr. office. The next thing I knew they told me they called an ambulance because they didn't know what to do. I then told them: " Here you are a Dr. and you don't know what to do if a person has a sz. I don't think I will be seeing you anymore." After that they sent me to the hospital and wasted their time but when the bill came I made the Dr. pay for it and then I reported him to the head administrator. What kind of Dr. doesn't know what to do if a person has a sz.? Now I have seen it all.
Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue