BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Starting Vimpat

Hi Folks,

After seeing my new epi which I was very pleased with. My epi wants to get me off the keppra do to the increase of sz. and put me on vimpat instead. I told my epi how heart problems run in my family but she told me that it shouldn't bother me. I also found out that they found 3 different areas in my brain that are causing sz. so the only type of surgery that might work is doing a neuropace device and that could possibly stop or reduce sz. in 2 areas of my brain. I will be speaking with my neurosurgeon and we will take it from there as what is the best thing to do. I just hope the vimpat stops or reduces my sz. because the keppra certainly increased my absence sz. like crazy. Here's wishing all of you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 08-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Hi Sue,

My epi switched me from Keppra to Vimpat about two months ago because of the severe insomnia I was experiencing. With the insomnia came more seizures and that was another concern. So far so good on the Vimpat, no real side effects or seizures. Lets hope it stays that way!

I hope the Vimpat helps you. I wish you all the best should more surgery be in your future.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your support and understanding. I'm glad to hear that the vimpat works good for you and I hope it has stopped your sz. forever. If I may ask how many mg. of vimpat are you taking a day? My Epi has started me on 50 mg. twice a day. Thanks for your time and help. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 08-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Sue, Thanks for letting us know. I am glad to know your new doc is trying Vimpat before going the surgery route first. Maybe this one will be the one that does help you. I remember from the paper I write on it that 400mg is the greatest effective dose. The researchers found no better benefit from higher doses. I got the info from UCB that makes it. Did you tell us once that you do have or have tried the VNS? Wonder why that would not help you? Glad she didn't suggest the corpus callosotomy today. Glad you are doing ok and wishing you the best for a less seizures on your new AED. Tattoo
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM

Hi Tattoo,

Thanks for your support and understand. I will be taking 100 mg. a day of Vimpat along with Diamox and mysoline and I hope it works with no side effects. In regards to the VNS I looked into getting one a few yrs. ago but I found out that it wouldn't work since 3 areas of my brain are triggering sz. The CC surgery was completely out of the question also do to the 3 different areas causing sz. so my best chance to better things is to try the vimpat and if that doesn't work go back on keppra and have the surgery done next summer. I would have it earlier but I don't have a lot of sick time at work and I'm concerned that they would throw me out of my job like they tried to a few yrs. ago. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue