BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 PM
New Community Member

Default Other diseases you have had related to Gluten:

I have heard that celiac can increase one's risk for many diseases: Leukemia, Lymphoma, ms, and so many others.

I am wondering if you could share other dxs you had that were not real- or real- that cleared up or maybe got better after Gluten free diet.

I had the dx of anorexia when I child, though it was not that I would not eat, but could not - it was like I was alergic to food.

Of course in hosptial it was all food- so much gluten it makes me sick.

Here is a list:

1. anorexia
2. Thromobocytopenia
3. IBS
4. arthritis issues
5. panic attacks <---ludicrous
6. paresthesias
7. depression
8. arythmias (PVC and PAC)

You wuld htink someone would say "Oh this must be systemic! That is a lot for a young person to have.

Most of mine have gotten at least better on gluten free. I still have several of the problems but I might be getting gluten somewhere.

Thank you.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Distinguished Community Member

In his book Dangerous Grains, co-written with James Braly MD, Ron Hoggan lists 187 gluten-associated medical conditions. The list includes everything from ataxia to zinc deficiency (a to z). Celiac is just one of the more obvious autoimmune illnesses triggered by gluten. I was looking at your list, and found nearly ALL in the list from Dangerous Grains, including:

Anorexia (#11)
Arthritis, broken down into five types of arthritis (#13)
IBS (#76b)
Paresthesia (#150)
Depression (#160a)
Anxiety (#160b)
Thrombocytopenic purpura (#177)

Also, regarding "arythmia," there are 4 health conditions listed under "Heart Disease" which include Ischemic heart disease, Cardiomyopathy (idiopathic dilated), Chest pain, noncardiac and Pericarditis, recurrent.

I am interested in your early struggles with food, because I know a woman in her 40s who has struggled with "anorexia" all her life. I believe she has been done a disservice by doctors who for decades have dismissed her issues as psychological without doing any lab testing to see what it might REALLY be. What foods led you to recover from the "anorexia" symptoms?

I'm glad you are doing better going GF - would certainly steer you towards The Gluten File on this forum to learn more great stuff!

Karen
Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Community Member

My brother has both MS and celiac.

My aunt has celiac and diabetes.

Two uncles with celiac have had cancer.

I have peripheral neuropathy and probably celiac (can't tolerate gluten so can't do the blood test now).

Why do you say panic attacks are ludicrous? There are lots of connections between panic attacks and anxiety and malnutrition, which lots of people with celiac suffer from.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 AM

My blood sugar has always been low, and since learning to eat GF after being dx'ed with CD last year, it's normal for the first time ever!! My g-mother had diabetes and pancreatic cancer, and my dad (her son) is pre-diabetic. I am nearly positive they both had CD. Dad started GF eating soon after my dx, and the lifelong digestive issues he had are gone. I'm hoping to avoid diabetes with my dietary changes (GF, sugar-free, reduced GF grains and "fake" sugar intake).

LIZARD
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Add that gluten contributed to:

bipolar
schizoaffective
neutropenia
depression
anxiety
chronic hives
constipation & bloating
chronic fatigue syndrome
fibromyalgia
allergies

Last edited by Naominjw; 09-25-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Why do you say panic attacks are ludicrous? There are lots of connections between panic attacks and anxiety and malnutrition, which lots of people with celiac suffer from. - shorty
True! But I think aabye was referring to the way these things are labeled and subsequently dismissed by the medical community. Instead of noting something like "panic attacks" and trying to find the medical cause for it, patients are led down the slippery slope of psych labels, which beget psych drugs, which REALLY muddy the diagnostic waters. Also, any subsequent real health issues are dismissed ("You have joint pain now? Oh - you're just hallucinating -- let me see if I can find the number for 'hallucinations' here in this DSM so I can justify prescribing another psych drug").

Karen
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Right On----karen
Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Pysch meds for medical problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonulin View Post
Instead of noting something like "panic attacks" and trying to find the medical cause for it, patients are led down the slippery slope of psych labels, which beget psych drugs, which REALLY muddy the diagnostic waters. Also, any subsequent real health issues are dismissed ("You have joint pain now? Oh - you're just hallucinating -- let me see if I can find the number for 'hallucinations' here in this DSM so I can justify prescribing another psych drug").
Oh Karen!! LOL!! That was so well-said. Thank you for my bitter laugh, since that's what happened to BOTH my precious children!! BOTH OF THEM!! Lost years to labelling with "mental" diagnoses and inappropriate treatment with psych meds which could not treat the underlying medical issues! Oh, and the psych meds themselves caused yet more symptoms.
Oh gosh...lol... and the dismissing... you have said EXACTLY what really happened with my younger daughter and her joint pain!!! She had all the symptoms of fibromyalgia... her pain of course was not "real" because she had already been diagnosed with a "mental illness".... nope.... it wasn't "real" right up until she was diagnosed with osteoporosis, intestinal malabsorption, low thyroid hormones AND MORE - all MEDICAL - at age 16!!! But only because we persisted in getting some help for her "not-real" pain from which she had suffered for years. And the pain started long before her "mental" diagnoses started piling up.

"Naomi"
Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 PM

So many of us have witnessed this scenario with our children! My son at 10 was "diagnosed" as having a "Specific Phobia" per the DSM because he wanted to have his vomit bowl close by at all times (because he was constantly and I mean CONSTANTLY nauseated for 2 years and never knew when his next spew would occur). How ridiculous!!!! I have never gotten over that...fairly soon afterwards I stumbled across Braintalk

Karen
Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 AM

Aabye- Most of the symptoms you mention can also be attributed to B12 deficiency, which is common among those of us with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease. If you have not been tested for B12 deficiency, I would recommend it. That, or take 1000mcg of methylcobalamin B12 daily.

I have more info on B12 deficiency in The Gluten File (linked in the signature of my post)... just follow the right bar on the main page down to the bottom for info on B12.

My favorite was reading all of my daughters medical reports, that always started with "She is a healthy 12 year old"... .... healthy with chronic asthma, joint and bone pain, seizures, mood swings, stomach aches, dry eye and mouth, frequent canker sores, defective dental enamel, muscle spasms, back pain, chronic sinusitis, and frequent general illness. She later developed anxiety, depression, and chronic UTI's. This daughter is still not gluten free because her GI insisted she didn't need a gluten free diet because she didn't have biopsy proven celiac disease, and at age 14 she chose to believe her doctor over me . She has been helped by taking nutritional supplements, but she'd be better off gluten free~ I have no doubts.

My other daughter had symptoms of frequent diarrhea (5-6 episodes daily), rough red rash on hands and wrists, episodes of vomiting with a mosquito bite like rash, fleeting neurologic episodes of leg weakness, leg drag, staggering, eye lid drooping, lazy eye, limp body rag doll fatigue. Isolated incidents of slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, and loss of bladder control. Did I mention irritablity... which vanished on a gfd. She's been gluten free 8 years, as have I.

I had a life time of nagging GI symptoms... including frequent diarrhea, stomach pain, bloating, GERD. I also was dx'd with Hashimoto's thyroid disease around age 30, and B12 deficiency around age 40. I suspect these health problems were related to underlying gluten sensitivity. I began a gluten free diet about a year after correcting my B12 deficiency. The symptoms I had related to B12 deficieny (and possibly other nutritional deficiency) include:

Irregular heart rhythms (skipped/delayed beats, flutters, weird beats that took my breath away, exaggerated pounding, racing heart..."idiopathic PVC's")

Urinary tract stabbing pain and numbness (repeated episodes-never infection..often felt like someone was poking a needle in me)

Urinary urgency and frequency, discomfort on urination

Nocturia (having to get up at night to urinate)

Hair loss

Frequent yeast infections (three in eight months prior to dx-none since)

Dizziness- little waves all the time, when I turned head, stood up, etc

Shooting and stabbing/piercing pains in chest, back of head, and later just about everywhere

Blurred vision and dimness, aching and numbness of eye socket, stabbing pain behind eyeball–mostly R eye; wavy vision (mirage ripples) and trailing lights; dry gritty feeling eyes; whole upper right quadrant of face felt numb

Burned feeling at tip of tongue

Constant twitches all over my body (about every 3 seconds at worst)

Thumb or toe would move back and forth for hours at a time

Buzzing sensations- mild all over, intense shooting/buzzing down my legs (mostly R~ vibration could be felt by others)

Sporadic leg jerks Muscles cramping, short and long in duration

Dropped things...keys, cups, soda can would randomly drop out of my hands

Brain fog- cognitive difficulties in concentration, memory, word finding- thinking at all! Couldn't follow conversation of others; lost train of thought mid sentence..a lot. Wrong words popped out frequently. Couldn't remember days or times of routine events.

Disorientation - A couple of times while driving, could not remember how to get to where I was going. Momentarily "lost" in very familiar surroundings. Yep... scary!

Aching forearm and wrist with stabbing pain; stiff hands had trouble moving hand/fingers to write

‘Spot’ pain and numb spots in spine, also buzzing in those spots

Numb/buzzing spot on scalp

Little ‘bee sting’ pains all over– deep but pinpoint

Itching - especially on my back along my spine.

Buzzing, humming, crackling and painful pressure in ears

Muffled hearing..sounded like they were plugged..but they were "fine" on physical exam.

Vertigo attacks- feeling of rocking back and forth and in and out, not so much spinning, but very off balance, rocking boat sensations... kept me from daily activities Ataxia?

Feeling of dropping from the sky while sitting still

Shooting ‘chill’ sensations from neck down spine

Middle of the night panic attacks (just woke to them a couple of times)

Insomnia

Uncontrolled shivering even when it wasn't cold

Legs and arms would fall asleep with least bit of pressure on them

Weakness...it was difficult to blow dry my hair..holding up the hairdryer was difficult!

Fatigue- which got worse initially upon supplementation

GERD/burning stomach/pain after every meal/episodic diarrhea (this has completely vanished gluten free, although the stomach symptoms had already improved alot just from taking B12 and fish oil)