BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Crohn’s, Celiac, Fungii, and SIBO

SIBO = Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth.
or Small Intestine Biofilm Overgrowth.

I’ve noticed that Crohn’s involves the same areas of the intestines as SIBO. This article discusses Crohn’s as an intestinal fungus infection. This article also ponders the question of which comes first, gluten sensitivity or fungal infection. I have made some clippings below. The full text is at http://heartspring.net/crohns_disease_symptoms.html

Dr. Shaw also suggest rather than turning off your immune system with steroids so it will stop picking at the biofilm sites, boost up your immune system so it can finally blast the biofilm out of there! (might be a bad idea if you have misdiagnosed cycstic fibrosis).

Hal

Quote:
Investigating the Fungal Causes of Inflammatory Bowel Disease
By David A. Holland, M.D.
Former World Health Organization expert Dr. A.V. Costantini has found that people with Crohn’s often have aflatoxin, a mycotoxin made by Aspergillus molds, in their blood. Barclay found that disease activity in patients with Crohn’s was lower while they followed a yeast-free diet, specifically avoiding baker’s and brewer’s yeasts.9

Some feel that the yeast, Candida albicans, may be the cause of Celiac disease, also known as Sprue, or gluten-sensitive enteropathy.10 Celiac disease, doctors presume, is caused by a reaction to a protein particle called gluten that exists in certain grains.
Little do most practitioners know that corn is universally contaminated with mycotoxins.

So, over-consuming corn, as so many Celiac patients do since they have few other choices of grains in their diet, is likely to propagate the illness. Many people have successfully treated (dare we say cured?) their Celiac disease by not only avoiding grains altogether--especially corn--but also including antifungal medications in their treatment regimen. Such antifungals may include the natural, coconut-derived fatty acid known as Caprylic acid (available over the counter), or stronger, prescriptive antifungals. These stronger medicines might consist of a combination of nystatin (a broad spectrum gut antifungal) and either itraconazole (Sporanox®) or fluconazole (Diflucan®).
Most antibiotics are mycotoxins--fungal derivatives.
We’ve seen thus far that, in just about every case of inflammatory bowel disease, conventional treatment involves the use of anti-inflammatories. Well, researchers at the Washington University in St. Louis took a bold step and did a study where they offered patients with Crohn’s disease an immune stimulant instead.12 They used a medicine called Leukine--a naturally-occuring molecule called Granulocyte-Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (GM-CSF).
9 Barclay, G. R., et. al. (Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology. 1992. 27:196-200.
10 Nieuwenhuizen, W., et al. Is Candida albicans a trigger in the onset of celiac disease? Lancet. 2003 June 21;361(9375):2152-2154.

Last edited by halsgluten; 06-29-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Interesting read. Thanks for the post.

Do you remember angelalea (or close to that?). I think she probably left before you arrived here. There were two Angela's as well, so I can't remember her username for sure either. She was convinced celiac disease begins with a fungal infection....and was working on writing up a dissertation. Most of what she wanted to discuss was over my head, but she was desperate to find someone to mull it over with... I bet you might have had a good discussion with her! Unfortunately, I don't have her email anymore, and I haven't seen her post in a long time.

hey... I think I just found her in the members list.. you might try an email or pm... and hopefully this is the right person Hmmm.. she doesn't accept email, and since she has never posted here, I don't know if she'd ever see a pm.
http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/member.php?u=9146

Anne, do you remember if this is the 'right' Angela?

Cara
Old 06-29-2007, 09:02 PM

I just finished a desktop search to see if I still had any of her old emails. We had corresponded. When I bought a new computer, I did not think I would need all of those old emails.

She would love the conversations about fungi. Much of what she said went waaaay over my head. Wonder if she ever finished her thesis?
Anne
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
Interesting read. Thanks for the post.

Do you remember angelalea (or close to that?). I think she probably left before you arrived here. There were two Angela's as well, so I can't remember her username for sure either. She was convinced celiac disease begins with a fungal infection....and was working on writing up a dissertation. Most of what she wanted to discuss was over my head, but she was desperate to find someone to mull it over with... I bet you might have had a good discussion with her! Unfortunately, I don't have her email anymore, and I haven't seen her post in a long time
I was thinking the same thing. Yes - it's Anglealea. I'll look to see if I have her email anywhere. We communicated with a bit of frequency.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:33 PM

I just found her in my addy book! I don't know how I missed that. I will send her a link to this thread. Not sure if the addy I have is still current, but it might be.

Cara
Old 07-09-2007, 06:28 PM

Great - I hope she has not changed her email address.
Anne
Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM

i think this is the one
Old 07-23-2007, 11:27 PM
New Community Member

Default Interesting post

Thanks Al,
I have never seen the article about aflotoxin in the blood of chron's patients. I'll have to look at that one.

Hal if you want to talk about infections let me know. I think infections may be triggers of the immune system malfunction at least. I haven't linked things well enough to make any other statements.

Interesting post,
Angela
Old 08-16-2007, 06:15 AM
New Community Member

Thumbs up very intriguing reading

This article is like a godsend. It's been a while since I've browsed this forum, I didn't expect to find something this particularly useful to my situation.

I'm about to have my first doctor's appointment (yes, I procrastinate and try to do things on my own too much) to get to the bottom of why, though I'm on the gluten free diet, I still feel absolutely horrible seemingly at the whim of my digestive system. My sister-in-law and brother, both in the medical field, told me from the sound of my symptoms I should get checked out for Chron's or IBDs, to definately consult with a good gastroenteroligist.

So, I've yet to see the doctor, appt is on Monday, but this article would explain why I still feel so sick, fatigued, "craptastic" as I call it. Fungal infection! Myco-toxins in corn! The craziest part is,

Quote:
...or stronger, prescriptive antifungals. These stronger medicines might consist of a combination of nystatin (a broad spectrum gut antifungal) and either itraconazole (Sporanox®) or fluconazole (Diflucan®).
Most antibiotics are mycotoxins--fungal derivatives.
I remember taking Nystatin and Diflucan, 1 was for an ear infection, the other was for an infected cut on my hip, and this was less than 2 months apart from each other. Within 3-4 months of the last oral anti-fungal anti-biotic treatment, I showed my first symptoms of gluten sensitivity. That was around summer-fall of 2000 and I've been trying to feel HEALTHY ever since.

It absolutely sucks being 26 but feeling like I'd rather not live my days hoping to feel good.

THANK YOU for posting this thread and quoting+linking the article. I feel a lot more confident going to see the doctor now, as I have never wanted to be put on a medication to treat symptoms. Personally I always want a treatment or a cure for the cause, not the symptoms! Preferably natural and affordable.

Saying once again, thanks much!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Hi Cabrera,

Sorry to hear you are stilling doing so poorly despite a gluten free diet. Have you removed casein? About 1/2 those with gluten sensitivity also have casein sensitivity.

Also, check out this page for other things to rule out... that could co-exist and keep you from being well. Hope your new doctor will be some help!
http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/notceliac

Cara