BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 AM
New Community Member

Default What are remedies for gluten intolerance ?

Hey friends,

My father is suffering from gluten intolerance so please tell what are the remedies to get cured of gluten intolerance.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Sadly, it's not curable, only managable. He has to stop eating all wheat gluten, plain and simple.

LIZARD
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Smile General Rule

Usually, the younger the person the quicker the response. It took me till I was around 56 years old ( 5 years ago ) to clue in. Plus there can be a host of other problems that can spring up due to gluten sensitivity----like allergies, chronic fatigue, low stomach acid, H pylori problems, low stores of vitamins & minerals, skin and dental problems plus if there is a severe yeast, mold or fungi problem, a person MIGHT never recover unless this problem is addressed.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Yeah - and the only "cure" for gluten intolerance or celiac disease is a gluten-free diet... and as can pointed out, other health issues may be present which need to be winnowed out and addressed. Bear in mind that the word "gluten" is a compilation of these three proteins:

hordein - found in barley
secalin - found in rye
gliadin* - found in wheat

Oats are also questionable in the United States because they are grown, harvested and processed alongside the other grains, and are subject to a lot of cross-contamination. There are special oats available which have been grown, harvested and processed separately and are therefore more safe to eat. I just checked Google after entering "gluten-free recipes" and there were 3,580,000 hits! People are slowly realizing that gluten-free or even grain-free living eliminates many of their health problems.

*gliadin is used in laboratory testing because it can stand up to testing better than the other proteins, hence "Antigliadin antibody testing," etc. instead of "Antihordein antibody testing."

Karen

Last edited by Zonulin; 06-02-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Dr Vikki Petersen has a lot of videos on You Tube that provide a good introduction to gluten problems.
Can Gluten Sensitivity be "Cured"?

You may also want to listen to these.
Vitamin D deficiency, what you should know

Celiac Disease and Vitamin D3
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 AM
New Community Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for sharing your views and I have also found a new website which gave me all the information regarding remedies to get cure of gluten intolerance http://www.brendawatson.com/digestiv...tions/candida/
Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Default Don't do it

I agree with Dr Vikki Petersen in the video Ted linked to: Can Gluten Sensitivity be "Cured"? that it isn't worth it even after healing and introducing a little and finding no immediate reaction - "Don't do it." It isn't worth it. I have other family members as well who have conquered the candida problem and their gut is healed, but there is now a lifetime of inflammation to deal with. Some do react immediately to any of the foods they are sensitive to. And for others, as Dr. Petersen noted, it is more insidious.

Here are some other good links:
The Gluten File
Interview