BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Question HELP...son's alarming weight loss

So my son's progress with GF eating has been going well--or so I thought. Hubby and I, as well as son's therapists, have really put our heads together on coming up with GF options for the foods he was eating, but he is apparently eating a LOT less in quantity and calories than he was and is now nearly six feet tall and a mere 150 lbs. Prior to starting GF eating, he had about 10-12 lbs. to lose, mostly in his gut. Now his pants are literally falling off!! I figure he's lost at least 20 lbs in the past couple of months.

Any ideas on getting a picky autistic teen to eat GF properly? We have fed him GF options for foods he was eating--pizza, cookies, bread, etc--but his therapists have reported that when they're out with him, if there's something he wants that's unavailable due to its gluten content, he won't eat anything. I am at a loss over what to do.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, words of wisdom, etc, are all welcomed and deeply appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

LIZARD, Drew's frustrated mom
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM

Does the physician say he is too thin? I know a guy who is 6ft. 3in. and weighs only a few pounds more than your son. He eats just fine. He loves to cook. He is simply a very slender build. He has even tried hard to "bulk up" and can't. Maybe because he does not eat a typical junk-food laden diet? He has done the protein shakes and weight lifting, and even that only gained him an additional 5-10 pounds.

If he needs more calories, have you considered shakes? I found one at a health food store gluten, dairy, soy & egg free Vegan Rice Protein by NutriBiotic.

Also, how about snack of food bars? There are Boomi Bars and Lara Bars.

And then there are fruits and smoothies made from higher calorie fruits.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Thanks, Naomi.

I'm just getting started on this, since it was brought up today by his therapists and the program clinician. I was talking with my dad, though, and he said that he and both my brothers quickly lost on GF eating (wish I would... ), and that because Drew is 16, he will also lose faster but will likely slow down eventually and be slim but healthy. My daughter, who is not GF, is also skinny. She is 5'3" and about 115 lbs.

On both your advice and Dad's, I will have the ped eval Drew and see if there's any reason to worry. He was about 10 lbs overweight before we started GF with him.

Thanks again!

LIZARD
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 AM

Yes - I wouldn't panic, either. Our son at 17 now is 5' 11" and weighs 120, so there ya go - !!! My dad was 6' 02" and weighed about 150; he still fits into his 20-something clothes, although he has been shrinking since entering his 70s. I was 5' 08" and weighed 115 until I was in my 30s...now the weight is catching up to me in my geezerhood.

I think the shakes are a good idea -- just make sure what he does eat is good stuff And I don't think any doctor would deem that your son's height/weight ratio would be "failure to thrive." Hopefully others will have some ideas...

Karen
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM

I also think 5-11 ( or so ) and being 150 is OK. Lean people live longer and 10,000 years ago, that was the norm. Keep introducing a variety of new foods and maybe he will find something to his liking.