BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default celiac diagnosis

My daughter saw the Gastro Dr. last week. He said he's 99% positive she ahs celiac but will do an edoscopy and biopsy on Tuesday to be 100% sure. He has set us up with a dietician to help start the diet after teh test. He was very thourough and tested her for vitamin defficiencies and thyriod(since her meds may not be getting absorbed) also her clotting to be sure her daily asprin is being absorbed. We will test everything again in a few months. I'm very excited to see her healthy again. Alittle nervouse right now since she's off the asprin (because of the biopsy) for the first time since her strokes. I'll feel better when she's back on it.
Mary Grace
Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Hi Mary Grace, that is great that your daughter got the diagnosis. A lot of healing happens when you go GF. I recommend at first to limit the GF grains - all that stuff is cross contaminated, plus some of us do not do too well with grains. Is she also dairy free?

I am sorry to hear of your daughter's other health issues. I have not been on this board much lately & am not familiar with your situation...

How did the biopsy go?

jeanne
Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Jeanne, Thank you for your response. It seems to be getting easier to do Gluten Free. My brother has celiac also so he will be a great resource for us. Thank you for the advicce on the GF grains. Kathleen was born with down syndrome, she has hypothyroid, and she was diagnosed with moyamoya disease( a neurovascular disease that caused several strokes) at 5 yrs old. This is why she takes asprin to prevent strokes. she had 2 neurovascular surgeries at Boston Children's Hospital to treat the moyamoya. So when she started having the gastro issues finding out that changing her diet would relieve this I was actually thankful. It could have and has been so much worse for her. I'ts crazy what you come to take for granted and what actually seems like a "blessing". Her biopsy went well. Her Dr. said he could see what he called "scalloping" of her intestines which is what you would see happen with celiac. So given her high blood count and what he couls see he said to put her on the diet right away and not even wait for the biopsy to come back. So we started today... She can restart her asprin in a week, that will be a relief. Thanks again this site is a great resource!
Mary Grace