BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Multiple Sclerosis

Old 03-25-2007, 03:01 PM
New Community Member

Default spasm question

For about the past year I've had this weird phenomenon happening. My MS doc. says it is spasticity. I have to travel five hours to see him so only see him every six months. Anyway- here's what's been happening. It's in my toes. It started as just weird sensations but then one night I happened to have my socks off and watched as my toes curled under and stayed there until I bent them forward for a few minutes. Now it is happening so often that I shake my foot and bend my toes all the time to stop it. At first it didn't hurt, but now I can feel the spasm in the toes and bottom of my foot. I took Baclofen, working up to a theraputic dose very slowly but it really effected my thought process. So I stopped it. I couldn't think or concentrate while on it and since I am a writer, this is not a good thing.

I walk at least a mile a day and it suddenly occured to me that the rubbing and blistering on one of my toes is related to the toe spasticity. One of my toes is turned slightly, causing the nail to rub the other toe raw. And it is permanently bent, which rubs on the top of the shoe. Walking is very uncomfortable now and I don't know what to do about it.

Does anyone have advice on all this? I don't really know what to do and I don't want it to get worse.

Oh and somewhere between all this I have had a few episodes where the bottom of my foot was cramped so badly, I couldnt' walk on it. My regular doc. thought I'd fractured my foot and did all kinds of x-rays. I tried to tell him it was probably spasticity but he apparently didn't believe me. Anyway- it was on the same foot as the toe problem, and lasted a few weeks.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa
Old 03-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Community Member

I don't have MS but I do have spasticity and cramping (great description of what happens to toes and feet, BTW) for which I have never taken medication. I've found that there are two things that help me greatly--magnesium and hydration. My recommendation would be to get a 250 mg. magnesium tablet and add one each couple of days until the gastrointestinal symptoms begin to show themselves. I take 750 mg./day but I've heard of people taking both more and less. As for hydration, just make sure you get plenty of fluids, especially when it's warm out or you exercise.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLavinia View Post
I walk at least a mile a day and it suddenly occured to me that the rubbing and blistering on one of my toes is related to the toe spasticity. One of my toes is turned slightly, causing the nail to rub the other toe raw. And it is permanently bent, which rubs on the top of the shoe. Walking is very uncomfortable now and I don't know what to do about it.

Does anyone have advice on all this? I don't really know what to do and I don't want it to get worse.

Oh and somewhere between all this I have had a few episodes where the bottom of my foot was cramped so badly, I couldnt' walk on it. My regular doc. thought I'd fractured my foot and did all kinds of x-rays. I tried to tell him it was probably spasticity but he apparently didn't believe me. Anyway- it was on the same foot as the toe problem, and lasted a few weeks.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa
It does sound like spasticity and I wonder why you are not on one of the usual meds...baclofen being most common and tizanidine being another frequently used med for MS spasticity. Both can be very helpful. The dosing is very individualized and the dose range is quite wide. Either can be titrated to the amount that works for you.

You really should discuss this with your neuro. There is no reason to just suffer.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:17 PM
New Community Member

Default Spasm question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsews View Post
It does sound like spasticity and I wonder why you are not on one of the usual meds...baclofen being most common and tizanidine being another frequently used med for MS spasticity. Both can be very helpful. The dosing is very individualized and the dose range is quite wide. Either can be titrated to the amount that works for you.

You really should discuss this with your neuro. There is no reason to just suffer.
I was prescribed a quinine for what my Neuro believed to be spasticity! I never took it, and have really learned to deal with a lot of my symptoms like the l'hermitte's phenom., transient numbness and tingling on a daily basis, at a certain level, like most of us with MS! I am noticing a new symptom similar to what you describe above, but in my hands and forearms, bilaterally. My veins bulge and begin to feel a noticeable swelling, stiffness and aching. I awake with it daily, and it is worse in the heat & humidity,ie; following my shower! Does this sound familiar to anyone??
Old 03-25-2007, 07:01 PM
New Community Member

Are there meds that don't cause tiredness, and trouble with focusing? I seem to be especially sensitive to those things. I would just deal with it but now that a little part of me has been permanently effected, I'm freakin' out.

I will definitely try magnesium. I think I'm ok on the hydration as I also have disc problems so try to keep those hydrated.

Lisa