BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Child Neurology

Old 10-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Arrow 4th insurance change this year... good news bad news

Kevin's work life in the last year has been all up in the air.

Last summer, his company announced they were shutting down the Kansas office and moving development to India.

So, he went to work with a guy he used to work with before we married.

After 5 months, that guy announced he was being sued and couldn't meet payroll because he financial backers got scared off.

So, last April, Kevin took a new job with a company that he detested. He didn't want to take the job but needed to keep insurance and money rolling into the house.

He has been looking for a new job ever since.

As you can guess, it has been stressful and tense around here with him being miserable. We had several talks about his needing to learn different coping mechanizisms.

Anyway, yesterday, he got the job offer and accepted. It sounds like a fabulous company. I am very happy for him / us. The down side? I have to go through the insurance change... once again. What a hassle and bore that is.

We asked the Life Care Planners if they would consider getting Spencer his own insurance policy that would remain stable. It is tough for them to figure out the money if the policy keeps changing.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:19 PM

It sure would make sense for Spencer to be on a stable plan. What a mess to try to figure out care providers, deductibles, and all that for this many changes! I wonder if they would get Spencer a stable plan and allow your family to buy in to it too at a reasonable rate (like what you would pay through an employer), so at least his bills could go towards the family deductibles and out of pocket maximums.

I have a feeling your life is going to be much more simple once that life care plan kicks in.

Laurie
Old 10-15-2006, 09:30 PM

The Life Care Planner called this evening after reading my update on Kevin's new job. Yes, they want the new policy coverage information. And, she is going to fight for Spencer to get his own plan.

The really super good news is that if they do get him his own plan, the plan would cover the premiums, too! That would take a lot of heat off of companies considering Kevin for a position. I know they can't turn him down for a job based on Spencer's disability as that would be discrimination. However, they could refuse to hire saying someone else was more qualified if they knew.

Remember the very small company Kevin worked for with 7 families? They wanted to change plans but couldn't because of our health bills.

I don't know (I assume you have) if any of you guys have experienced the same issues.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:47 PM

Regardless of the insurance issues, I hope the new job is a good fit for Kevin and works out. I don't even want to imagine the stress all of that caused / causes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
I don't know (I assume you have) if any of you guys have experienced the same issues.
Uh... we haven't had this problem, because we've been too scared to give up our insurance. Actually, in all fairness, Mr. Kay and I aren't very adventurous folks. I'm not sure if he would have looked for another job by now, even if we didn't have kids and there were no worries.

Prayers Spencer gets his own plan.
Mom to Samantha (11), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed, with poor vision and poor fine motor skills. His seizures are fairly well controlled by diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free. Next on the list: soy, nuts, tomatoes, peanuts, peas, eggs, and melons.