BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 11-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default UK cuts prescription GF foods

In the UK, a person diagnosed with celiac disease is able to get GF foods by prescription. This is covered under the national health insurance. Apparently the National Health Service of the UK is cutting back on prescription gluten free items. The only foods that will be available by prescription will be bread and flour mixes.

http://www.daventrytoday.co.uk/ViewA...icleID=1830443

Anne
Old 11-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Community Member

This just makes my efforts in the US more to prevent something like this from happening here. I really feel for those who live in the UK. I'm going to pass along to some contacts and see what we can do like get the FDA more intune as the consequences of these actions.

Hashimotos, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hyper-mobility Type III, Osteoarthritis C5-6-7 L4-5 S1 w/slight narrowing of disk space, Pre-Osteopenia in both hips, Herniated Disks T8-9, Cervical Lordosis, Sciatica, Facet Arthropathy, Sinus Polyps, Lymphadenopathy, Migraines, Spina Bifida Occulta and Celiac Spru
Vitamin deficiencies B1, B6, Carnitine and Magnesium
Allergies: Morphine, Demerol, Darvocet, Vikadon, Ultram/Tramadol, Sulfate, Duragestic
Old 11-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Community Member

Default France

Only if you have the gold standard can you get gluten free products which are full of chemicals and not organic paid for by Social security.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annelb View Post
In the UK, a person diagnosed with celiac disease is able to get GF foods by prescription. This is covered under the national health insurance. Apparently the National Health Service of the UK is cutting back on prescription gluten free items. The only foods that will be available by prescription will be bread and flour mixes.

http://www.daventrytoday.co.uk/ViewA...icleID=1830443

Anne
"The link you sent is dead, can you give me more info about the NHS cutting back on GF foods on prescriptions?" I have a contact that is very interested in this as he lives there. I did a search but came up with nothing useful.

Thanks Anne.

Hashimotos, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hyper-mobility Type III, Osteoarthritis C5-6-7 L4-5 S1 w/slight narrowing of disk space, Pre-Osteopenia in both hips, Herniated Disks T8-9, Cervical Lordosis, Sciatica, Facet Arthropathy, Sinus Polyps, Lymphadenopathy, Migraines, Spina Bifida Occulta and Celiac Spru
Allergies: Morphine, Demerol, Darvocet, Vikadon, Ultram/Tramadol, Sulfate, Duragestic
Old 11-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
CHARITY SLAMS HEALTH CUTS AS 'SHORT-SIGHTED'
THURSDAY OCTOBER 19 - A CHARITY has branded NHS cuts to prescriptions for gluten-free food as 'short sighted' and as taking the 'soft option'.

The newly created Northamptonshire Primary Care Trust (PCT) announced that people suffering from coeliac disease – where they cannot eat products containing gluten – will only be able to get bread and flour mixes on the NHS.

Sarah Sleet, chief executive of Coeliac UK, said: "Of course we understand the PCT's need to deal with its deficit crisis, but its response in imposing severe restrictions on the availability of gluten-free staples is unreasonable.

"The PCT is attempting to restrict all gluten-free prescribing to bread and flour mixes – however, there are other staples, such as pasta, that people with coeliac disease are reliant upon, especially where children are involved."

Although gluten-free staples are available in supermarkets, many are five to eight times more expensive than standard products, putting them out of reach for many sufferers.

The PCT announced the measures as part of a financial cuts aimed to plug a £40million deficit in its budget.
19 October 2006
« Previous PageNext »
The link still works for me

I talked with a physician from the UK today and he said that this is true.
Anne
Old 11-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Community Member

Thanks Anne. I sent him a copy of your quote. Hopefully that will help enough. The link is working for me now. Wonder if it was a glitch this morning.