BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Question How do you know when you are accidentally "glutened"?

Okay...I have had to resort to eating a handful of foods I know are safe for me because of not just CD but Candidiasis, and I'm still in the process of getting rid of the yeast culprits and wanted something small because I was hungry and it was late at night. I hadn't eaten any dinner and had to have protein, so I read a soup can label carefully and then ate the soup.

Well, within MINUTES after eating, I had horrific stomach cramps, gas and diarrhea that lasted a couple of hours. I'm inclined to think it wasn't the soup because I remember eating it before (in the past yr, after starting GF eating) and not having this problem, but I can't think of anything else that may have triggered it from the past couple of days.

Any ideas? Maybe the Candida is just worsening? I know I have to go back to the dietitian to figure out what the hell I can put into my mouth anymore. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

LIZARD
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 AM

Formulations can change. :-(

My older daughter knows because she spends a day severely moody.

The younger one get intestinal distress, bloating and constipation.

I get hives.

Each of us reacts differently.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 AM

It sounds like your suspicions that it was the SOUP are correct. I say this only because any Candida "reaction" would have been a slower, more insidious IgG type of reaction, and you would have felt a little bit worse every day. It's possible the soup had "hidden" MSG, which is now being disguised in many processed foods: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html What was on that soup can label?

So sorry to hear you're feeling badly -

Karen
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM

What soup you did you eat? Did the label read clear as far as you could tell? There are very few canned soups on the market that are gluten free. And it is possible there was something else in it that bothered you.

Everyone does react differently... some fast and severe... and others not at all.... and everything in between.

My daughter tends to react quickly... with stomach ache, sometimes vomiting, lethargy, headache, moodiness, and diarrhea for days. Occasionally hives, but moreso in the past. I don't seem to react to gluten errors, but do react to small amounts of dairy now with joint pain and GI symptoms.

Also, I've heard that the reactions can change over time. I've heard it will actually intensify for a period of time after removing gluten... not as much in the very beginning as gluten is still being weaned from your system... more intense between the 6-12-18 month time frame... and several years out the intensity of reactions may actually diminish.. once your immune system calms down and is not as immediately reactive.

I have to say... it worked this way for my cat allergy... not to confuse the issue!

I also want to say sometimes we just don't know if we were glutened... or just have a bug... or ate something else that affected us. But, over time, you do start to have more and more of a gut feeling (haha) about it whether it was gluten or not ... and will know if you've been eating away from home or are eating something new... gluten is a more likely culprit.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM
New Community Member

I would look carefully at the ingredients in the soup that you ate and maybe try making a food journal, looking for any correlations. Canned soups often contain a host of common allergenic foods, including: milk and milk products, eggs and egg-containing materials, fish and fish products, shellfish, soy and soy products, and peanuts. Sulphite, which is not a food allergen but is often a problem for many sensitive individuals can be found in many processed foods, including canned soups. Have you ever been tested for food allergies? There is some great information at http://www.innatehealthfoundation.org/5_b.htm and http://www.centerforfoodallergies.com/ regarding food allergies, as well as their link to IBS and correlations with Celiac.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Smile Candida & Gluten Sensitive Diet

I cook everything myself and when I go out, I bring my own food if I am not 100% sure what it is. My past mistakes have made me all the wiser. I try to keep my carbs down to around 45 grams per day and also have a very limited diet. Good Luck