BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 11-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Suzanne Somers and Gluten

I have always been fascinated by people who start over/reinvent themselves, so catching a woman who was stereotyped as "ditzy" speaking eloquently and intelligently about health on Larry King was a pleasant surprise. After checking her 2008 book, Breakthrough out of the library, I found myself post-it-ing every other page. Now I can't wait to get my hands on her book about cancer called Knockout. Anyway I signed up on her website so I could read her blog, and was notified that she would be selling her products on ShopNBC at a certain day and time, so I set my VCR to tape it. Here's what I transcribed verbatim during a segment in which an "anti-aging doc" called in:
"Pam from Connecticut": I'm one of the anti-aging docs - I met you at the A4M (?) Conference...You're right on target with that gluten-free stuff because all of my recent seminars have been all about taking that out, so people, you've got to pay attention!
Suzanne Somers: You know, she knows what she's talking about. It is an epidemic right now - you're going to hear more and more about gluten intolerance. It's a serious problem. It's not just that you bloat. It's not just that you just get fatigued. It's not that you run out of energy. It's not that your hormones don't work anymore because you're gluten intolerant. You can get very very ill, right?
Pam: Yes. Suzanne, you know what you're talking about. Actually, you know, as a doctor, our training was always classically about your basic celiac disease and that kind of gastrointestinal GI stuff. And it's actually so much more. The subtlety is that people can feel really bad and not have the full-blown GI problems with gluten and not recognize it.
SS: And not recognize it. And it's my understanding, doctor, that all disease starts in the gut.
Pam: Absolutely - I would say 90%. We're looking at it so much more that way, and between the Vitamin D affecting what's falling through the gut and the things coming through the gut - things like gluten - which, unfortunately the food industry has increased the percentage of gluten in the wheat products tremendously over the last 50 years, so if there's a predisposition to have a problem, it becomes more so - it becomes the hallmark of a lot of immune disorders, so that starts the whole process.
SS: You know, we're going to start a whole gluten-free product line because I think it's so important. It also affects growth in offspring - children who don't grow tall enough...my husband - I just couldn't figure out what's been wrong with him for the last several years - and it was all about gluten. Since he's gotten off gluten, he's gotten thinner, he's got his energy back, his hormones are working again - it's really important. Thank you so much for calling in...

Between exposure like this on a shopping network and Jenny McCarthy stating that both she and Jim Carrey have multiple food allergies in the recent Living Without magazine, could we be..."goin' Hollywood"?? And then it's a hop and a skip to mainstream...and then the doctors will collectively cry out, "Well of COURSE all your health problems are due to GLUTEN"

Karen
Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 AM

And then the pharmaceutical companies and medical establishment are trying to discredit her, saying SS is not a doctor, and her mouthing off about health issues could hurt people.... at least that is the article our local paper carried.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Yep! By the time a person gets through medical school, they are so well-versed in the "party line" of responding to every health problem with a prescription pad, they have lost the ability to...think. They have been told thousands of times that DRUGS are the only credible, viable response to illness. They do NOT take nutrition classes (a few do - ONE 3-credit course) and do not look at the whole person. So someone like SS who has interviewed doctors and researched various health concerns is dissed, yet the ones who are deemed CREDIBLE have been taught to not look at the latest research, NOT look for connections between drinking pop and eating Twinkies for lunch, etc....makes me very angry.

Karen