BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 PM
New Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by can View Post
For me, being gluten-sensitive is a blessing in disguise! Eating healthy can be so rewarding in many ways never thought possible at the beginning!

I know and thank you for the encouragement. I needed that
I'm trying to be postive and I find myself all day concentrating on how miserable I feel, which I know is so wrong...only makes a situation worse and can in the end make me sicker. Stress kills and I know this. Just having a hard time "not thinking about it".
Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
My doc said, a reaction wouldn't last this long, last year when this all started. I'm allergic to seafood, the Chicken Thai dish had a very strong fishy smell. Me and my bf, both allergic. He called the restuarant and they advised of some fish oil/seasoning that they use in all dishes regardless, that it's very strong, but they only use a dash. BF told them, well, we never smelled it before and it apparently there was a lot in it. This was prior to my ears blocking and then the swollen lips. I'll have to read on MSG. I'm not taking a probiotic, I eat a yoplait whip every other day. They have not checked me for a Candida albicans overgrowth. Maybe I should be tested? I use sugar in my decaf coffee...2 small little spoons. I'm wondering if I should follow through with an appt at the immunologist? The postive ANA result, and the edema, swelling, is being caused by some underlying issue that is going on. Is the gluten the cause of all that? - t8tersalad
Oh boy - if you're allergic to seafood, that's a biggie - and usually an anaphpylactic, immediate IgE reaction! I found this on MSG - interesting that the writer states it is NOT an IgE reaction: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Recog.html . I would push for an ELISA food allergy test, which will show IgG reactions to food. My son tested positive for 25 different foods! My husband has a terrible reaction to MSG - headaches, diarrhea, exhaustion (he eats out much more often than I do). I think the Yoplait Whips are dessert-like in that they contain sugar - maybe try Acidophilus Pearls or a similar product - they are small and easy to swallow and don't contain sugar (which feeds the Candida which you are trying to eliminate). I will say that WE had a terrible experience with a so-called immunologist, who only "believed" in those ancient "scratch tests" - the ELISA test will check for an IgG reaction (not immediate) to foods using blood serum - the "scratch tests" only check for an immediate IgE reaction in the SKIN

As for the edema and whether it could be related to gluten, check out this forum where it is discussed: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/in...howtopic=44028

It is almost a certainty that at least some of the current health problems you are experiencing are due to your body saying ENOUGH! We are now a nation of diabetics due to the fact that our collective pancreas cannot deal with the sugar (even as recently as 150 years ago, "sugar" whether from corn or beets or whatever - was rare - today it is in nearly every processed food). I think my son's problems were due to his favorite "foods" being Goldfish crackers (wheat) and chocolate chips Boy have we learned this the hard way!

So some helpful tests to request might be the Candida albicans*, the ELISA, maybe the Antigliadin IgG Antibody test (which is NOT the test for celiac, which would be a waste of money since the Enterolab results did not uncover "celiac" per se)...the Antigliadin IgG Antibody will show whether you are sensitive to gluten. If everything is within the normal parameters, I would start looking for toxins such as mercury, lead, etc., which can really muck with your health (it did for my son).

* Everyone has SOME Candida albicans; what they will be looking for is a Candida albicans OVERGROWTH. The use of probiotics gets rid of the good bacteria we need in our gut; and sugar finishes it off by encouraging the Candida albicans overgrowth. My son's lab results showed Candida albicans so abundant it was "dividing on the microscope slide."

Hang in there!

Karen
Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to be postive and I find myself all day concentrating on how miserable I feel, which I know is so wrong...only makes a situation worse and can in the end make me sicker. Stress kills and I know this. Just having a hard time "not thinking about it". - t8tersalad
Oh gosh yes it's hard to be upbeat when you feel terrible - I'd say it was pretty much IMPOSSIBLE! There is certainly truth in that saying that if you have your health, you have everything. Maybe concentrate on the idea that you WILL be feeling better SOON - eliminating gluten and possibly other foods will make an enormous difference in the way you feel. My son was constantly nauseated for over 2 years, and we saw 22 doctors during that time...nearly all of them absolutely clueless. When you get a handle on what this IS (getting more tests ordered) and make some tweaks to your diet, your health will improve and you will start to feel like yourself again, only better. Keep that uppermost in your mind...

Karen - Knowledge is power
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
The postive ANA result, and the edema, swelling, is being caused by some underlying issue that is going on. Is the gluten the cause of all that? - t8tersalad
A positive ANA may be present in many autoimmune conditions, including celiac disease.

Whenever I hear edema, I think of B6 deficiency, because that is how it affected my daughter and I. B vitamin (and other) deficiencies are common in those with gluten sensitivity. If you aren't already, you might try using a good B-complex to see if you get any benefit.

I like Country Life Coenzyme B-Complex or Jarrow B-Right... because they use the methylcobalamin form of B12 and P5P form of B6. They are sold at many online stores.. just google it up.

Hang in there! You are moving in the right direction, but getting better is a process, and may involve additional discoveries along the way.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:52 PM
New Community Member

Default No more fear

Hi everyone

Sorry to be off topic but I coudn't resist sharing this, hoping it might help some of you.
I am not really new to this forum but never bothered to write anything until now. I have reading around this and that forum to find some solution to my problems. I don't want to bore you guys with my horror story but I would like to say a few words to encourage others.

I use to get panic attacks since my childhood and now I am 26. I was some how living with it due to support from my father and friend. I am shy by nature and find it hard to mix with people and so I have few friends. But around 5 years ago, things turned to worst. I lost my parents in an accident. I then my life was turned upside down. I some how managed to get a boyfriend and I finally felt like coming back to life. I loved her and he too but I guess, I was making his life miserable and so he left, 6 months ago. Ok enough of my sad life.

I actually never lost faith in myself. I was taking medication and I spent quite a lot of time on internet looking for some miracle information. I bought lot of books, CDs and what not. And then, I stumbled upon this course by Mr. Sal. It's called Panic away. Just search for "panicaway dot com" and u will find it. I also tried the famous linden method but former seems to work better for me.

And since then my life is slowly and slowly turning around.
His approach is simple and yet effective. I started reading it around 4 months ago and the last attack that I got was 41 days ago. Earlier, it used to be like 1-2 times each week.I wish that I had found this course an year ago. Anyway. That's it, I would say that you guys so give it a try and if this helps you then my effort of writing this looong post would be worthwhile.

I am now looking forward to a life without fears. Wish me good luck.