BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Celiac Disease and Encephalopathy which includes many Neurological Symptoms

I was reading Anne's notes the other day and came across this word, "Encephalopathy" in Dr. H's section. I did not know what it meant so I looked it up.

What is Encephalopathy?

Encephalopathy is a term for any diffuse disease of the brain that alters brain function or structure. Encephalopathy may be caused by infectious agent (bacteria, virus, or prion), metabolic or mitochondrial dysfunction, brain tumor or increased pressure in the skull, prolonged exposure to toxic elements (including solvents, drugs, radiation, paints, industrial chemicals, and certain metals), chronic progressive trauma, poor nutrition, or lack of oxygen or blood flow to the brain. The hallmark of encephalopathy is an altered mental state. Depending on the type and severity of encephalopathy, common neurological symptoms are progressive loss of memory and cognitive ability, subtle personality changes, inability to concentrate, lethargy, and progressive loss of consciousness. Other neurological symptoms may include myoclonus (involuntary twitching of a muscle or group of muscles), nystagmus (rapid, involuntary eye movement), tremor, muscle atrophy and weakness, dementia, seizures, and loss of ability to swallow or speak. Blood tests, spinal fluid examination, imaging studies, electroencephalograms, and similar diagnostic studies may be used to differentiate the various causes of encephalopathy.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/e...phalopathy.htm

I was shocked at how many symptoms are the same as the neurological celiac symptoms. I know I was exhibiting 90% of these symptoms.

I was disappointed that more time wasn't spent on the neurological complications of Celiac Disease.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 PM

I guess gluten should be included among the toxic agents. Dr. H said that gluten neuropathy was not caused by the vitamin/nutrient deficiency.

I have pictures of Dr. H's posters and will have to read them more carefully and let you know what they say.
Anne
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 AM
New Community Member

Symptoms of coeliac disease are abdominal distension, vomiting, diarrhoea, weight loss and fatigue. Some patients are diagnosed with symptoms related to the decreased absorption of nutrients or with various symptoms which, although statistically linked, have no clear relationship with the malfunctioning bowel.

Brain Adams
Brainhealthandpuzzles - brain cancer symptoms
Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annelb View Post
Dr. H said that gluten neuropathy was not caused by the vitamin/nutrient deficiency.
And this is one point where I disagree with Dr. H. I'd say gluten neuropathy is not only cause by vitamin/nutrient deficiency. It may also be caused by immunological attack.

We KNOW that B vitamin deficiencies can cause neuropathy, and vitamin E deficiency is often associated with gluten ataxia, etc. Both factors may be at play.

I prefer Dr. Latov's representation on this:

Quote:
"But the two things which are relevant to CD are nutrition and immunity. People with CD have nutritional deficits because of malabsorption; common causes of neuropathy are B12 deficiency, B1 deficiency, B6 deficiency, and Vitamin E deficiency. Neuropathies are also commonly caused by the immune system through autoimmune mechanisims."..."Latov commented that 20-25% of people with CD might have neuropathy."
Celiac Disease and Peripheral Neuropathy, Norman Latov, MD, PHD 2002
I believe the point Dr. H. was struggling to make in those early days is that the neurological complications of celiac disease ALSO involve an immunological mechanism.... not soley a nutritional one... at a time before that was readily acknowledged.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams001 View Post
Symptoms of coeliac disease are abdominal distension, vomiting, diarrhoea, weight loss and fatigue. Some patients are diagnosed with symptoms related to the decreased absorption of nutrients or with various symptoms which, although statistically linked, have no clear relationship with the malfunctioning bowel.

Brain Adams
The trouble is that Up to 85% of patients with histologically proven coeliac disease have no gastrointestinal symptoms
Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Headache in Pediatric Patients With Celiac Disease and Its Prevalence as a Diagnostic Clue.a high frequency of headaches in patients with CD and vice versa with a beneficial effect of a gluten-free diet.

I thought this was quite a good explanation of what is going on in Celiac Disease The Dangers of Wheat
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM
New Community Member

Very interesting,thank you
Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 AM

I have never understood why the term "encephalopathy" is "medical" but "schizophrenia" or "autism" is not considered to be. Yet "encephalopathy" covers it all. In fact, that's what many parents have the doctors code now for their child's symptoms. "encephalopathy."

When I think about my younger daughter with her "mental illness" diagnosis in spite of being mentally healthy, it is absurd. Yet "encephalopathy" does not conjure up the image of lack of mental health. It conjures up the image of a person who may be mentally healthy yet has brain symptoms. Like my daughter who was given the diagnosis of "schizoaffective."

She is no longer under the care of a psychiatrist. Her encephalopathy/schizophrenia was found to be better treated with medical interventions, including (but not limited to) a diet suited to her needs.