BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) Syndrome

Old 10-31-2006, 08:30 PM
New Community Member

Default burning sensation over the trigeminal pathway

Has anyone ever described (or felt) a burning pain and/or numbness that starts progressively at the tip of 1/2 of the tongue, then the rest of that 1/2, then lips, cheek, eye, ear, nose and then down the inside of the throat? I have had a mild TMJ disfunction for many years. Mostly just popping with chewy things like bagels, headaches whenever I chew gum and difficulty opening my mouth all the way in one movement. For the last 1 1/2 years I've had the above described pain. There was a suggestion on another forum that this may be an exacerbation of the TMJ problem (on left). I do have a tendancy to pinch nerves that seems to be familial (as does the TMJ). It is likely that it is hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsies (HNPP) which just means I pinch nerves and things go to sleep for minutes to months.

The thing that got me to thinking maybe TMJ is that it flares when I'm stressed. Could it be grinding teeth in the night?? I definitely do that.

I have had CT, MRI and a myriad of blood tests. All normal.

Anybody know a good TMJ dentist in West LA? I think it's time to get a new mouthguard. (haven't worn one for > 10 years)

Holli
Topanga, CA
Old 11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Yes I have felt that before. And I went to see my doctor. He diagnosed me with TN. He said that years of the TMJ had damaged the nerve and caused TN to form. Have you checked this out with your doctor?

crystal
Old 11-09-2006, 05:17 PM
New Community Member

Default Tn + Tmj

That is very interesting and helpful. Is it a steady pain/burning or is it more characteristic of TN with the sharp stabs? Does it wax and wane for you?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:41 AM

At first it was a burning sensastion. Now it is either that or the stabbing feeling. And here is the crazy part .... My face after several weeks of this will go numb for at least 24 hrs. I am sort of glad of that. It is better than pain all the time I guess. It waxes and wanes. At first I didnt even think of TN because it just didnt seem like it. I have a dd with TN so I thought I knew it all. However the neuro I went to see said that although there are some things that almost all TN suffers will experience it well usually feel different to everyone. I hope that helps some.

crystal
Old 11-16-2006, 08:17 AM
New Community Member

Could you please elaborate on TN? What does it stand for? What are the signs/symptoms? Can it be treated and if so, how? Could you provide some god links for further information on this subject? I have TMJ, but just recently I have been experiencing other problems that lead me to believe it could be something else.

Thanks!

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
Bipolar, Borderline Personality
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)
Old 11-19-2006, 02:43 PM

TN is Trigeminal Neuralgia. On this message board is a wonderful board for it. As for links here are some...

http://www.tna-support.org/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tri...ralgia/DS00446

http://www.tna.org.uk/

On the message board for Trigeminal Neuralgia here on braintalk is a whole post full of more links. Those should be a good start and a place to get some information. I hope you find relief soon. And here is the link for the message board here on braintalk ...

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...play.php?f=271

crystalina