BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Multiple Sclerosis

Old 10-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default New improved "Copaxone" beginning clinical trials in MS

As many of you probably know, Copaxone was discovered by accident. Researchers were actually trying to develop a drug which induced EAE, the rodent version of MS, but found instead that the mice were protected by the drug.

Researchers at Harvard for the past six or seven years have been trying to create an updated version of Copaxone and may have succeeded. Clinical trials in humans are now beginning. These researchers have been looking closely at what they believe makes Copaxone work, and incorporating that knowledge into a new and improved version.

Copaxone is composed of four amino acids, but the researchers found that dropping one of these amino acids and adding a different one created a much more effective drug, based on animal studies and based on exposing human T-cells (which attack myelin) to the new combination.

Because of its (apparent) greater effectiveness, the drug would only need to be injected once per week, subcutaenously.

Peptimmune is developing the drug (not Teva).

Here is an abstract from ECTRIMS 2006 on the drug:

Immunomodulation of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by the novel copolymer PI-2301

B. Carrillo-Rivas, J.T. Kovalchin, J. Krieger, M. Augustyniak, I. Dufour, K. Johnson, H.M. Genova, K. Rafuse, A. Ward, S. Baldwin, R. Kolbeck, J-C. Gutierrez-Ramos, E. Zanelli (Cambridge, USA)

Years of clinical experience have shown that daily subcutaneous administration of the peptide copolymer Copaxoneâ„¢ (Cop-1), a mixture of millions of peptides composed of the four amino acids YEAK in random order, is a safe and efficacious treatment for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RR-MS).

Cop-1 was modeled to mimic myelin basic protein (MBP) and turned out to ameliorate experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) in mice, most likely by shifting the immune response away from an effector TH1 to an immunoregulatory TH2/TH3 immune response through presentation by MHC class II molecules.

Recently, a series of new peptide copolymers have been synthesized with the goal to improve the in vivo efficacy of Cop-1. In the present study, we show that Copolymer PI-2301 produced by substituting E with F has improved beneficial effects in a relapsing-remitting murine model of EAE.

Unlike Cop-1, PI-2301 shows long-term therapeutic efficacy when administered either daily or weekly at disease onset. In an adoptive EAE setting, efficacy of PI-2301 administered daily at the time of autoreactive lymph node cell transfer correlates with decreased serum level of Metalloproteinase-9 and increased level of Metalloproteinase Inhibitor-1.

Antibody production against PI-2301 and T-cell recall proliferation assay using splenocytes from PI-2301-treated mice underscore the induction of a TH2/TH3 immunity. Evidences of the expansion of T-cells with regulatory properties expressing Forkhead box protein P3 (FoxP3) and producing Interleukin-10 following PI-2301 treatment are also apparent.

We propose that PI-2301 is a potential novel immunomodulatory compound for the treatment of RR-MS. Clinical trials will soon be started to test this hypothesis.

And here are a few prior research papers detailing the progress made:

Novel synthetic amino acid copolymers that inhibit autoantigen-specific T cell responses and suppress experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.

Synthetic peptides that inhibit binding of the myelin basic protein 85-99 epitope to multiple sclerosis-associated HLA-DR2 molecules and MBP-specific T-cell responses.

Amelioration of proteolipid protein 139-151-induced encephalomyelitis in SJL mice by modified amino acid copolymers and their mechanisms.

Copolymer effects on microglia and T cells in the central nervous system of humanized mice.

Mark
Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 PM
New Community Member

Thanks Mark. Very interesting information.

It would be wonderful to cut out 6 shots each week. It's a long way off but the change in life quality for those on C would certainly be improved.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Default thank you

I appreciate your posts so much. This one is perfect timing as I have an appt. on wednesday.

I wonder why TEVA is not producing it...maybe the companies are connected.

Linda

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Old 10-16-2006, 04:06 PM

Thank you, Mark. My doctor has mentioned this to me before. I've been waiting to hear more about this.

Has the clinical trial started yet?

Linda, best of luck with your appointment on Wednesday.

Multiple Sclerosis and Trigeminal Neuralgia - Currently on Tysabri
Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the news.

And, also, I did not know that was how Copaxone was discovered as an MS therapy.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 PM
New Community Member

Thanks for the encouraging news, Mark. And for all of your other updates.

Marcia
aka MarciaK1 & ancestrynut
Old 10-17-2006, 01:16 AM

My Injection Sites Thank you for posting this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I will never forget my dearest doggy Ruby who taught me how to never give up... to make the best out of what you have and keep trying... I love you my bestest girl...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 PM

Linda, I don't think there is any reason TEVA would be involved -- although the drug was designed to be a more effective version of Copaxone, any pharmaceutical could have done the research and come up with the new version. So I don't believe there would be any patent issues.

In some ways the Canadian drug entering phase II/III trials -- MBP8298 -- also reminds me of Copaxone, although it is composed of 17 amino acids. One of the trial requirements is that patients not be allergic to Copaxone.

Joy, the company states at their website that the clinical trial is to begin this year, but I haven't found any recruitment information.

Mark