BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Smile More Enterolab Results

Before I got tested, my wife, my daughter and son did not believe that I was gluten sensitive, plus, I told my daughter and son that they were gluten sensitive, but of course, they did not believe that. So, I predicted my gluten sensitive "score" would be 62 and it came in at 68. I predicted my son at 75 and it came in at 18 and I predicted my daughter at 60 and it came in at 78. FATHER KNOWS BEST--------SOMETIMES
Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 PM

Very interesting! Has this affected the way your daughter chooses the foods she eats?

Karen
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Hi Karen. Yes, and it gets more interesting---because she told me she was not going to change her diet. It will take some time, but if I do a very " slow sell," I know she will change in time. As for my son, he has already changed his diet. FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW MANY PEOPLE THERE ARE OUT THERE THAT THINK GLUTEN SENSITIVITY IS NO BIG DEAL---------As far as I am concerned gluten sensitivity is far worse than CELIAC DISEASE------because it sounds far less sinister ( than celiac disease ) and people under estimate it in many many ways.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Some of the "sickest" people I've known were non-celiac gluten sensitive. I hope you family will all be on board soon enough. I still have an adult daughter resisting... maybe one day... when she has children and it affects them. Hopefully, before then.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Smile Wow---sounds Familiar

My daughter ( 28 ) wants to start a family but just found ( before the Enterolab results ) out she has pituitary problems. I told her about Elisabeth Hasselbeck, so I hope pretty soon, it will sink in.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 AM

Plus, I want my sister to get tested--( I am interested to see if she complies )---she just had her gall bladder removed----each of our parents have at least one gluten sensitive gene---as I have 2
Old 06-24-2009, 01:42 PM

A friend of mine bought Hasselbeck's book, and she says there is constant reference to celiac/GLUTEN SENSITIVITY, even in the intro by Dr. Peter Green (great photo of the cover on this site: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=437474 ).

So we are making inroads towards public awareness that gluten can cause a multitude of health problems - not only "flattened villi on endoscopy" Gold Standard Celiac Disease. Yay!

Karen
If Elisabeth Hasselbeck makes an audio version of her book, it will be a CD on CD (with GS thrown in)
Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 PM

P.S. Hey Can - I notice you're a "Distinguished Community Member" now - are you feeling especially professorial these days?

Karen
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Sure---Is it not anything over 100 posts? Cute---CD on CD etc.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM

I have always thought "distinguished" should look like some guy wearing one of those jackets with the patches on the elbows, corduroy pants, a gray beard and a pipe (put THAT in yer pipe and smoke it!)...quite a stereotype! Of course I have been "distinguished" here on Braintalk for awhile, and I don't even HAVE a beard

Quote:
FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW MANY PEOPLE THERE ARE OUT THERE THAT THINK GLUTEN SENSITIVITY IS NO BIG DEAL---------As far as I am concerned gluten sensitivity is far worse than CELIAC DISEASE------because it sounds far less sinister ( than celiac disease ) and people under estimate it in many many ways. - Can
I know! There are people who are able to eat gluten and go through life with few if any health problems from it - something else kills them, or they have amazing immune systems or fantastic genes. And gluten is in nearly everything, and you do have to read the labels if you eat processed food, etc. Such a hassle/hasselbeck! I got dragged into going GF kicking and screaming because my son was so very sick...but now that I have seen improvements in my own health, I will never go back to eating that...stuff.

I hope your children start to "get it" before they become sick - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Karen