BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Hydrocephalus (in memory of Braindrain aka Gina)

Old 10-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Thumbs up I got the most awesome news today!!!!!!!!!

I am still tearing up. I had a brief meeting today with Drew's therapists' supervisors re his reauthorization of his program with the state and working on new goals for that six months. We were talking about the conference I attended in July (ASA annual nat'l conference), and I asked them (because they also have a good deal of experience working with autistic adults) if I can hope that Drew will eventually be able to be on his own some day. They both said, "Absolutely!"

OMG...my tears haven't stopped all day!! I am more relieved than I can ever say. I just wished I had asked before now!

LIZARD, who just had to share with y'all!
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Congratulations LIZARD & Drew!!
Problems, Slit Ventricle Syndrome, Spinal Stenosis

My website:

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=14130

Support for people who have hydrocephalus and
associated conditions-and their families and friends.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:46 PM

Talking

Way ...That's awesome,Liz...

CoolAngel28~"When life deals you a lemon,make lemonade and brownies." also "Life is like a box of chocolates,ya never know what you're gonna get."
Old 10-10-2006, 07:01 PM

Liz, You'll find that once Drew is around 14-16, the schools are very active in helping with the transition to after-school living for people with disabilities. That's great that they believe that Drew will some day live independently!!! Brittany is going to make it out there in this wild world on her own someday but Brandon will always need help and won't be going it alone.
Joy- hearing impaired and chronically ill due to ACM, mother to Brandon (10-25-87) vision impairment, CP, Hydro w/ VP shunt, MR, ADHD & has had a Hemispherectomy for seizures, Brittany (10-25-87) Hydro w/LP shunt, allergies, asthma, & learning disability, and Andrew (4-18-91) healthy & gifted

"Dream as if You'll Live Forever, Live as if You'll Die Today"
Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

When I talked to you on the phone once and I heard him in the background talking... I knew he had it in him! He has a great, dedicated mom and that means the world! I am so proud and happy for you guys!

Hugs to you and Mr. Drew!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 PM

That's awesome news, Liz.

Marcie
Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 PM

Smile

Thank you all so much!!

I can't even begin to tell you what this feels like, though I'm sure most of you have an idea. WOW...I am just SO JAZZED!!!!!!!!!! Even a few months ago, I was afraid to broach the subject with them. He has changed that much. His therapists tell me all the time about how he's so keyed into people's body language, their mannerisms, and their conversation, and he even imitates people he sees! I'm sure at some point, someone will be a bit freaked out by it, but he's just blossoming left and right!! I can't get over it!!!!!!!!

Joy, thank you for the info, hon'. We have already talked about when he'll transition and how it works. I'm both terrified and exicted about it. I am just amazed at this young man. He surprises me every single day...brag, brag, brag, brag!!

Love y'all!

LIZARD, Drewy's so-proud-I'm-burstin' mommy!!!!!
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 PM

Absolutely fabulous!

xo
kathleen
Old 10-11-2006, 12:21 AM

That's awesome LIZ.... Congrats Drew!!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Community Member

Smile Good News Liz

That's great news Liz!

I've been meaning to pick your brain a bit more about Autism but because Brain talk was down, I haven't.

I'm working in a school that has a program with several students with Autism. I have them once a week for art. I heard about a book that Barnes and Nobles carries about Art and Autism, but haven't found it yet either.

The kiddos that I have now with autism are pretty low but last year I had several that were prob. more on the level of your Drew and I had a good time with them... (A couple of them moved on to middle school and one moved out of district.)

Maybe we could email each other privately somehow?

Thanks

Lemontree