BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Neurological symptoms in patients with biopsy proven celiac disease

Neurological symptoms in patients with biopsy proven celiac disease.

Bürk K, Farecki ML, Lamprecht G, Roth G, Decker P, Weller M, Rammensee HG, Oertel W.
Department of Neurology, University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany.

In celiac disease (CD), the gut is the typical manifestation site but atypical neurological presentations are thought to occur in 6 to 10% with cerebellar ataxia being the most frequent symptom. Most studies in this field are focused on patients under primary neurological care. To exclude such an observation bias, patients with biopsy proven celiac disease were screened for neurological disease. A total of 72 patients with biopsy proven celiac disease (CD) (mean age 51 +/- 15 years, mean disease duration 8 +/- 11 years) were recruited through advertisements. All participants adhered to a gluten-free diet. Patients were interviewed following a standard questionnaire and examined clinically for neurological symptoms. Medical history revealed neurological disorders such as migraine (28%), carpal tunnel syndrome (20%), vestibular dysfunction (8%), seizures (6%), and myelitis (3%). Interestingly, 35% of patients with CD reported of a history of psychiatric disease including depression, personality changes, or even psychosis. Physical examination yielded stance and gait problems in about one third of patients that could be attributed to afferent ataxia in 26%, vestibular dysfunction in 6%, and cerebellar ataxia in 6%. Other motor features such as basal ganglia symptoms, pyramidal tract signs, tics, and myoclonus were infrequent. 35% of patients with CD showed deep sensory loss and reduced ankle reflexes in 14%. Gait disturbances in CD do not only result from cerebellar ataxia but also from proprioceptive or vestibular impairment. Neurological problems may even develop despite strict adherence to a gluten-free diet. (c) 2009 Movement Disorder Society.

PMID: 19845007 Oct 2009

Last edited by jcc; 10-22-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM

Too bad it doesn't mention these conditions are also frequent in those with gluten sensitivity w/o celiac disease, or that for those who develop neurological disease despite a gluten free diet... that they may also need to be casein free, soy free, etc, depending upon the individual.

We still have our work cut out for us in the medical underground, but I think this paper is quite stunning, especially in regard to some of the higher percentages in the 30+ % range.... like psychiatric illness, migraine, ataxia, and deep sensory loss.

Last edited by jcc; 10-22-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
Too bad it doesn't mention these conditions are also frequent in those with gluten sensitivity w/o celiac disease, or that for those who develop neurological disease despite a gluten free diet... that they may also need to be casein free, soy free, etc, depending upon the individual.

We still have our work cut out for us in the medical underground, but I think this paper is quite stunning, especially in regard to some of the higher percentages oin teh 30+ % range.... like psychiatric illness, migraine, ataxia, and deep sensory loss.
Let's see... my daughter had the migraines, "schizoaffective", and ataxia. But also other neurological problems (like sleep disorder... not sure what to classify her vision (eye) problem). Those are better, but she is also on supplements, and hormones.

What is "deep sensory loss"?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 PM

I was thinking a form of neuropathy... but wasn't quite sure either. It doesn't google up very well either.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
I was thinking a form of neuropathy... but wasn't quite sure either. It doesn't google up very well either.
1st order neuron is Post. RG
3rd order neuron is Thalamus
Fibers cross to the opp. side after the 2nd order neurone
In deep sens. pathway, the fibers cross to the opp. side in the medulla (G & C nuclei), not in the spinal cord. That’s why there’s IPSI. deep sens. loss in spinal hemiplegia, not contra.
aparently it relates to WHERE in the nervous system the "crossover" occurs?
i am thinking that the "IPSI" referenced would be ipsilateral, and the contra would be contralateral, ipsi being same side, and contra being opposite side
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/articl...05A0321223.php
that might explain some falls that seem to have no rhyme nor reason
http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/stroke/...195628!8091!-1
that was all i could find in 5 pages of google that i could access.....all i can make of it, would seem like a brain level but cerebellar, injury