BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default No eating... No hives ;)

Well, I am recovering from a two-week bout of E. Coli - you know - intestinal stuff with some severe vomiting thrown in... Was on Lomotil, Phinergan, and Cipro. Today's the first day my brain is semi-functional since last dose was day before yesterday. I think my brain is sensitive to the narcotic effect of Lomotil. My eyesight sure was (Lomotil has atropine in it also).

Anyway, yesterday I was up to adding food to my meals of "Not-Chicken" boullion broth, boiled white rice, and gluten-free oatmeal. I added a small piece of toasted home-made gluten-free bread I had in the freezer, and banana. Not sure what I'll do today. So far, I've just had gluten-free oatmeal with half a banana in it.

I've not had my antihistamines and antileukotrienes in 6 days. I have NO HIVES. I do have some allergic symptoms in my sinuses. But no hives.!!!!!!!!

I WISH I could now have the self-discipline to add back only a couple foods every 5 days or so to find all the things that might have been contributing to the hives I have had for over five years.

My younger daughter (the one studying nutrition) says that the mere fact that my body was fighting something REAL could have made it stop attacking ITSELF.

I don't have the self-discipline. My appetitie is returning. I'm hungry.

Even the banana I added back could affect me 5 days later...

Anyway, I am going to hold off on taking antihistamines until/unless either my nasal/sinus allergies get bad, or the hives return. I'd been too afraid to try stopping them. This sickness forced the issue. (For those who may not understand - reading about hives may not match the severity of reality - they are horrible, and sometimes life-threatening).

Anyway... anyone want to advise me what I should try eating next, keeping in mind I cannot have Gluten, casein, soy, eggs, kidney beans, canteloupe/honeydew, pineapple, walnuts, cashews, sunflower.

Or should I try to stick with this very limited diet for a few more days? Who knows, maybe as long as I stay away from those foods my hives won't come back. Oh, I will be so so very happy.... But before, I did get ocassional breakthrough hives although avoiding those foods, it became much much safer. I could even drop/miss one or the other pill and the next day not be suffering!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Wow, Naomi - sounds like you just went through the wringer! So glad you're feeling better! Very interesting about the hives going away, and understand your fear that they will return with the return of the "mystery" food/combination of foods that caused them. Bananas, oatmeal and rice sound benign enough, although of course you know you will need a protein. If I were you, I'd try one protein at a time. Start with chicken or beef or turkey - PLAIN! Also easier to digest if PLAIN! Now is also the time to dust off that food diary - this is a tremendous opportunity to play Sherlock Holmes. Kim from Canada who used to post here in the past highly recommended the SCD - Specific Carbohydrate Diet: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Glad you are feeling better and back among the living!

Karen
Old 10-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Today I added a bit of chicken cooked in the "not chicken" boillion which I was already eating.

Ahh yes - the dusty food diary. Yep. I see, Karen, you've been through this before.

Naomi
Old 10-19-2009, 12:28 PM

Yup - I think I would almost rather have a tooth pulled than keep a dang food diary again!! Hope the chicken was a success - ? If you're adding foods back very slowly you can probably just jot down on a calendar "Chicken" and the next week "peanut butter" or whatever. Non-anaphylactic reactions are a real pain in the...posterior.

Karen
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM

I think we have established that a small amount of gluten DOES cause me hives. It wasn't the chicken. I got glutened. I got hives. I took benadryl and ONE of my regular antihistamines. Off it again, no hives.... And... it was in the wrong oatmeal (my husband's cheaper brand).

I am actually kind of excited about this. Getting to the bottom of something that has been threatening my life for years....

I am off ALL medications and food supplements except my nightly melatonin.

I like the idea about just jotting things down on a calendar.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Sorry to hear you were infected with E. Coli... happy you made it out of that!

My daughter gets hives from gluten... but they were little mosquito bite like things.

I have definitely seen full blown hives, though... my son, my daughter, and my husband have all had allergic reactions to medication... and those hives were quite severe and lasted weeks. My husband needed a couple trips to the hospital for IV steroids and antihistimines.

My kids also had random hive breakouts as kids... and in fact, at my son's daycare they determined they were from whole wheat buns! This was long before I knew about gluten sensitivity. They told us to feed him cheap white bread instead, and apparently the lesser amount of wheat helped.

I hope you can pinpoint the cause of your hives. I cannot imagine going through life with chronic hives. Glad the E. Coli infection is behind you!