BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Louisa May Alcott

Contemporary doctors have "diagnosed" the author of Little Women as having an autoimmune disease triggered by an environmental insult (mercury):

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journ...irschhorn.html

Quote:
Perspectives in Biology and Medicine
Volume 50, Number 2, Spring 2007
E-ISSN: 1529-8795 Print ISSN: 0031-5982
DOI: 10.1353/pbm.2007.0019
Hirschhorn, Norbert.
Greaves, Ian, 1947-
Louisa May Alcott: Her Mysterious Illness
Perspectives in Biology and Medicine - Volume 50, Number 2, Spring 2007, pp. 243-259

The Johns Hopkins University Press Louisa May Alcott (1832–1888), famous in her own time and immortalized in ours as a major figure of the "American Renaissance," died at the age of 55 after intermittent suffering over 20 years. Her illnesses evoked intense interest in her time and in ours. Alcott tracked her signs and symptoms (in letters and journal entries), which included headaches and vertigo, rheumatism, musculo-skeletal pain, and skin rashes; in her final years she recorded severe dyspepsia with symptoms of obstruction, and headaches compatible with severe hypertension. Her death came suddenly with a stroke. Standard biographies propose that her illnesses were due to acute mercury poisoning from inorganic mercury medication she received for a bout of typhoid in 1863, a cause she herself believed. We have reviewed Alcott's observations, as well as those of others, and have determined that acute mercury poisoning could not have caused her long-term complaints. We propose instead that Alcott suffered a multi-system disease, possibly originating from effects of mercury on the immune system. A portrait of Alcott raises the possibility that she had systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
Karen
Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Very interesting tidbit... thanks for posting Karen!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Interesting that doctors are saying her lupus was "triggered" by something like mercury exposure. There is an "epidemic" of autoimmune diseases in our toxic world today. Alcott was a bit of a...pioneer in that regard. She also had GERD, nausea and constipation. Certainly a woman ahead of her time

Karen
Old 12-08-2009, 12:16 PM

Remember the littlest girl of the story, Beth, who kind of faded away and died? When my younger daughter was 9, she scarily reminded me of that little girl...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM

How scary - I know that sickening feeling of DREAD, too So glad she is older and healthier and will be FINE, unlike the real Beth (Lizzie Alcott). The new book Louisa May Alcott by Harriet Reisen (supposed to be on a PBS special this month) has this about the death of Lizzie (the real Beth):

Quote:
Page 140
The seaside Swampscott, salt water and sunshine did not restore Lizzie. The local medical man whispered "tuberculosis" and suggested only rest, home and family comfort. Aunt Bond sent the family authority, Dr. Charles Windship, to Swampscott to examine Lizzie. He concluded that she was not suffering from tuberculosis. "It seems to me that the system of medicine is a prolonged GUESS," Abby (Marmee) wrote in helpless confusion. Bronson (Alcott) came to Swampscott to consult a Dr. Newell with Abby and Lizzie. Newell had nothing better to suggest than a bland diet, rest, and Tincture of Time.
This same book also has this about Louisa's health problems:

Quote:
Page 270
Hirschhorn and Greaves classified Louisa's symptoms as headaches ("neuralgia"), joint pain and swelling ("bunches on the leg"), and a welter of gastroinestinal ills: "loss of appetite, nausea, heartburn," also "eructation" (belching) and stomach discomfort. Louisa's intestinal problems overshadowed the others and pointed to gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD.
Huh - sounds like a gaggle of gluten-intolerant symptoms to ME.

Karen ("There's an eructation/Across the nation/And dancing in the streets...")
Old 12-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonulin View Post
How scary - I know that sickening feeling of DREAD, too So glad she is older and healthier and will be FINE, unlike the real Beth (Lizzie Alcott). The new book Louisa May Alcott by Harriet Reisen (supposed to be on a PBS special this month) has this about the death of Lizzie (the real Beth): ......

.... Huh - sounds like a gaggle of gluten-intolerant symptoms to ME.
Yes!

My daughter, at the time, got diagnosed with "Depression" after which it seems like all her deteriorating physical health was ignored. She had pleurisy once, and 3 bouts of pneumonia from age 10 to 15. Four broken bones so far from "nothing." We'll be dealing with the fallout for years, if not the rest of her life... but at least now she HAS a life!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
My daughter, at the time, got diagnosed with "Depression" after which it seems like all her deteriorating physical health was ignored. She had pleurisy once, and 3 bouts of pneumonia from age 10 to 15. Four broken bones so far from "nothing." We'll be dealing with the fallout for years, if not the rest of her life... but at least now she HAS a life! - Naomi
It seems that the doctors get bonus points if there's a psych label involved - what's with THAT? That poor dear girl - she is LUCKY you have been by her side through all these...shenanigans by the medical community. Shame on them.

Karen