BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 01-20-2008, 01:38 AM
New Community Member

Default how to make home made vegan cheese? (almond &/or rice)

Hi All!

Does anyone have recipes about how to make good tasting milk-free cheese (gouda, cheddar, mozzarella) from home made almond mylk, rice mylk, etc.?

Carol/concerned lady
970-531-5000
fsds@qwestoffice.net (new email)
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi Carol -

Looks as though there aren't many vegans posting here (or ANYone posting, for that matter!). Here is a link that has a couple of recipes: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/arc...hp/t-5110.html

I myself haven't tried making dairy-free cheese. We eat dairy in small amounts...and try to use goat milk products instead of cow's milk.

Karen
Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
New Community Member

Default cheese

Here is two recipes: number one, if you can use soya flour, then this is a good one. But I think you can use any flour, I didn't use soya flour and it turned out well. Take vegan margerine and equal amounts of the flour, melt the margerine than add the flour gradually untill well blended. Add nutritional yeast flakes to it to taste and any herbs and spices you want. You can put it in a greased container at this time, If you used hard margerine it will be hard and sliceable when it's cold. If you want a soft cheese, use soft margerine. for a sauce you can add any vegan milk you desire to the right consistency as you heat it to thicken. I used two tablespoons of flour and margerine, added about equal amount of yeast flakes and added about 1/4 cup of milk (soy) but almond milk would work. I am sure if I cooled it would be darn near sliceable, but I was looking for a sauce. It needed more milk but I just used that way and it was very tasty on my broccoli. Another one is this: simple cheese sauce: 1 cup raw cashews
2 cups water
1/2 large red pepper or one fourth cup of pimentos
1 1/2 t salt
2 t onion powder
2 T yeast flakes
1/2 t garlic powder.
put the cashews and enough of the water to cover the nuts and blend till smoothish. Add rest of ingredients and blend for two minutes. Pour into a pan and simmer until it thickens. If you want a lighter cheese you can reduce the nuts by a half a cup and add 1 T of cornstarch or other thickener. I have alot more recipes for cheese if these don't work, including some for sliceable cheese. I don't know what you can and cannot have.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Community Member

Check out The Uncheese Book by Joanne Stepaniuk. She's got a number of recipes for vegan cheese. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 AM
New Community Member

Smile Thanks, everyone!

Thanks, everyone! I'll try to follow your advice, but, wish we could find them already made (but tasty).

My hubby (gluten sensitive--non Celiac type) has been hankering for block (hard) cheeses, but he's sensitive to milk proteins.

I'm thinking I should find a local cheese maker, and ask them to make block cheeses from almond mylk. He tried health food store brands of milk-free cheeses, and they didn't taste too good. He would like a really tasty actual cheese (probably with the enzymes, etc.), that is milk-free.

Carol/concerned lady
fsds@rkymtnhi.com
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Default Cheese substitute:

Son, age 9, GF since age 5, is now CF. He recognizes the influence of dairy on his gas, and the influence of his gas on social interactions at school (everybody recognizes that except his “refrigerator mother theory” physiotherapist), and over the last year has frequently self-limited his cheese eating (but sometimes binges).

But now CF, he has difficulty sometimes fighting the urge for cheese. “Its not the same.” “It looks bad without the cheese.”

However, we discovered that, if you close your eyes, *whole*guacamole is a substitute for cheese! It is rich in fat and vitamins while gluten and diary free (non-dairy recipes) and low in starch. While New World and therefore not technically Paleolithic, avocado is clearly “Eat-Me”, one of the few fatty vegetable foods that is.

Just don’t buy fake guacamole like Kraft’s.

I’ve never worked up the courage to try a slice of avocado, and I don’t like hard cheese so I don’t know how sliced avocado might work instead of sliced hard cheese.

Hal
Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
New Community Member

Default Eureka!!!

Hi everybody this is my first time on the forum.

Hold on to your hats!

I've just discovered a way to make really nice soya cream cheese using the same method they use with cow's milk.

Heat a litre of soya milk to 90 degrees fahrenheit/32 degrees celsius -you'll need a themometer to measure the temperature accurately.

Add the strained juice of one lemon (no pips!) and 15-20 drops of vegetarian rennet. I used Vegeren which is made by Just Wholefoods of Cirencester.

Stir and leave to cool.

After a couple of hours or so it should have separated into 'curds' and 'whey'.

Place a large flour sieve over a bowl or pot.

Fold a yard square piece of muslin in half twice and place over the sieve then pour the curds and whey on to the muslin and allow to drain.

Pull up the sides of the muslin and twist together to squeeze the rest of the liquid from the solid.

Open the muslin and Hey Presto! vegan creme fraiche!

Scrape it off the muslin into a bowl for serving or storage.

Add salt to make cream cheese.

I guarantee you will be amazed at how easy it is make and how delicious it tates. It has a very light texture and very clean taste - miles better than the commercially made stuff.

I got the idea off a bloke on the telly who did it with cows milk and I thought why not try it with soya.

All the other recipes I found on the internet seem to involve mixing stuff like ground up nuts and miso together without the creation of a proper 'curd'. I'm going to experiment by adding guar gum or vegetarian gelatine and saffron or turmeric to see if I can thicken and colour it to make a kind of processed cheese. If I can get it to harden and age like cheddar then I will try and make vegan stilton with proper marbling - my Holy Grail!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the recipe!!

Karen