BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Child Neurology

Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Exclamation Hospital Day 1: 15 hours in resuscitation, intubated and chest infection

Hello dear neuro buddies.

Grant was rushed to hospital by ambulance with sirens on, which has only happened a few times before.

The ambulance officer phoned the hospital of our arrival, and the moment we arrived Grant was rushed into resuscitation. However by then he had calmed down and was not considered a candidate for resuscitation. He did have a Midazolam injection in the ambulance.

From there Grant went to a room directly opposite the nurses/doctors station. We had an absolutely delightful doctor. She was very thoughtful and thorough.

We gave Grant Paraldehyde, and believe it or not none of the nurses or doctors looking after Grant have ever given the drug before so Alison and I gave it. But that is okay.

The Paraldehyde really didn't have much effect, only calming Grant down for a short time.

The doc was right onto it. She wasn't particularly happy with Grant's breathing, so she immediately transferred Grant back to resucitation. She then rang for the ICU registrar. She also had a chest xray taken, as well as bloods taken of course. She showed her skill by getting a line in first try, which with Grant is quite an accomplishment.

Grant's seizures were now increasing in intensity slightly. Grant had Midazolam plus Ziffron (SP Anti nausea cancer drug) to stop vomiting caused by Midazolam.

Unfortunately the type of seizure that Grant has been having is a big tonic/clonic followed by a few seconds of calm, followed by major dry reaching/vomiting.

The ICU registrar came and was another very thorough doc. He would have spent easily an hour watching over Grant and discussing the situation with us. We looked at all the alternatives. He didn't want Grant intubated if at all possible, but realised that the seizures had to be stopped.

They tried a loading dose of Phenytoin/Dialantin, but that really only kicked in for about half an hour and then the seizures came back.

They tried a couple of doses of Midazolam, as well as Diazapam/Valium, but really not much was gained in respite from the seizures.

The ICU doc got onto some of the other ICU docs and they came to the conclusion that the next step would probably be intubation even though the ICU ward was full.

More Valium was given. Then for a few minutes the nurses dissapeared as there was a very ill patient next door having CPR.

This is when it all happened!

Grant started having extremely violent tonic/clonics and vomited profusely. Grant's pulse went up to 175! During some of the seizures his oxygen stats dropped for periods below 85, even though he was on oxygen. We promptly pressed the buzzer and nurses and doctors came from everywhere. Plans were immediately made for Grant to be intubated.

We left the room to let the docs intubate Grant.

When we went back he was very peaceful indeed.

The chest xrays are not good. He does have a chest infection and is on antibiotics. One lung does not seem to be getting enough oxygen, which could have something to do with the intubation.

Last time when Grant was in ICU (April) he was given an antibiotic and got a rash. The docs are trying to find out which drug that was as we don't remember.

ICU WAITING LIST

The ICU ward is full, so for now Grant will be in resuscitation until he can go to ICU. He of course has a one on one nurse in resuscitation.

God is in control, and Jesus is Lord, so we are very comforted.

Please pray for a quick recovery.

God bless you all.

I will update when I can.

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ
Old 10-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Oh dear. I will pray tonight and every day until Grant is better. May God hold Grant in the gentle palm of HIS hand and heal his lungs. May Grant be peaceful and painfree and the doctors be kind and knowledgeable. xoxox
Donna, Mum to Natalie (18), ablebodied, beautiful, kind and high strung and Nicholas(22), severe spastic CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, palliative, happy kid except when Liverpool football club is losing!
Check out my blog: http:/www.donnathomson.blogspot.com

Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the thorough update. Poor guy. He must've been miserable. I hope being intubated and having enough oxygen makes him more comfortable and the rest lets his body heal...hugs and prayers...glad you've been pleased with his care. God is good
Old 10-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Sorry this is happening again. The Snipes Family will be praying for a quick recovery for "The Champ"
Old 10-01-2010, 07:55 PM

((((((((((((Grant & Paul & Alison)))))))))))

What a frightening ordeal! I'm so sorry Grant needs intubation, but I'm relieved to hear that he is resting more calmly now that he is on it.

Our prayers are with you that Grant will respond rapidly to treatment and be off the vent soon, and back home where he belongs.

Once the offending antibiotic is identified, perhaps you could have it added to the list of "allergic reactions" for Grant. That way it will be classed as an allergen in his chart for future reference.

Prayers are on their way and will continue ~

Love & Light,

Rose
*smallrose Mom to Jon, 41, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Paul. Thanks for taking the time to update all of us. I will continue to pray for a complete recovery for Grant, and for peace of mind and heart for you and Alison.
grandmother/mom to Tyler (16): OS, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, scoliosis/kyphosis and kidney stones, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM

((((((Paul+Grant+Alison)))))),

Adding my prayers to everyone else's for ease in breathing and healing of infections and an end to the seizures.

BIG HUGS (and healing thoughts and love).

Barb
Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Community Member

Will have all of you in my thoughts ***
Yvonne xx
Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 AM

(((Grant))))

Paul, you know we are holding you all up in prayer.

your family means the world to us.

much love,

Denae

http://caringbridge.org/visit/roo
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM

I saw something on Facebook so I came over to see what was up. I am praying for Grant, you, and Allison....