BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Dystonia

Old 08-22-2007, 09:06 PM
New Community Member

Question vertigo/dizziness

HI. Has anyone experienced vertigo/dizziness? My Mom has PD w/ dystonia (or perhaps just dystonia, according to one doctor) and for the last 6 months has had severe symptoms of vertigo. She says it feels as if the floor is "soft" and "moving" which makes it very difficult to walk (in addition to the other difficulties from PD/dystonia). An ENT has ruled out an inner ear or related cause and believes it's a neurological problem, oscillopsy. Has anyone heard of or experienced this type of problem? Thank you!
Old 08-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Community Member

From all I'vr researched, vertigo is not usually a part of dystonia, but people with dystonia can suffer from other things just like the rest of the population. I'm not a doctor, and I don't really know, but a couple of things come to mind.

The first thing is medications. I've had trials of Parkinson's meds, and they make me feel dizzy and faint. Is she on any meds?

A friend of mine has really bad vertigo, and hers is associated with MS. MS has also been known to cause dystonia in some individuals. Has she had an MRI of the brain, and another one of the C-spine, to rule out this possibility?

Have you visited the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation? They have a lot of good information about dystonia. http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/

Hope you get some answers for your mom soon.
Firebird
Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 PM
New Community Member

Hi. Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. My Mom does take PD meds but she's now taking much fewer than she used to. Her new MDS thinks she was seriously overmedicated before. She's getting along as well or better on fewer meds, which is great. I do wonder if there's some connection between the reduced meds and this wild dizziness. Her MDS is unfamiliar with this problem, though. She's had tons of MRIs and other tests. The MDS will review them with a neuroradiologist soon, I hope. Like I said, her other neuro thinks that this dizziness is related to dystonia and the ENT also thinks it's a neurological problem. UGH. As if the PD/dystonia wasn't enough to deal with. Feels like we're heading toward something with few or no options.

I will check the site you recommended. Thanks very much! Judy
Old 09-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi I'm new here, I have Multiple Sclerosis (dx 01') and was dx with cervical dystonia a week ago, I have suffered from severe vertigo for many years and take Antivert

Abby
Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Community Member

Default Physical Therpay for Vertigo

Hi and sorry to hear your Mom has multiple medical issues and Doctors who can not agree. A friend of mine is a Physical Therapist and specializes in patients with Vertigo. Perhaps mentioning Physical Therapy is worth mentioning to the Doctor(s). Best of luck!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:08 AM
New Community Member

I have Generalised Dystonia and do have balance issues, feel as if my head is swimming or suddenly feels strange and I am going to fall over. My neuro says Dystonia patients can get these symptoms.

One thing is sure Dystonia is a very strange condition.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
New Community Member

I have Semental Dystonia (for many years) + 3 failed neck surgeries (not a good combination), but it is only recently that I have dizziness. Yes, Dystonia is a strange condition, and harder to explain to people.