BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Multiple Sclerosis

Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Community Member

Default "do you want me to call your doctor and tell him you're not taking your medicine?'

My assigned pharmacy calls when they think i am due for a new shipment of betaseron. Ususally it is a recorded message and you hold to talk to a rep. Fair enough. Several days ago, I was called by a live specialty pharm rep who wanted to know if I needed my drugs shipped. I told him "no".

He asked me if I wanted to my prescription deleted. I told him..."No".

He then said "Do you want me to call your doctor and tell him you are not taking your medication?" using a tattletale, smarmy, nasty, third grade bully voice.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a jerk!

Pharm-phoneman finally gave me the "hold" option...letting me call when I need my next shipment.

Finally, after all that, he asked my birthday to confirm who he was talking to. I was so done talking to the jerk, so I jsut said thank you, good bye.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Distinguished Community Member

I agree - a jerk! Tattle tale attitude. The way you say he asked the question and made the tacky juvenile threat to rat you out to the doc, it almost makes you wonder if he has a quota? Is he on commission by volume of sales? What's the doc gona do, make you stay in at recess?

I do know there is a big push to increase treatment compliance. I will have to say the non-compliance has always been something I have found a bit hard to understand.

The doc tells me to take the pill, give myself the shot, etc. If I agree to the tx, I do it and I do it on schedule 99.9% of the time. But, I gather that is not the case for most of the "patient" population.

What I do know from reading some of the how to increase tx compliance literature is that "rat you out to the doc" is NOT one of the recommended methods of motivation or help to increase compliance. Of course, people tend to threaten & or attempt to motivate with what they perceive as threats and or motivators. I wounder if you should ask him if he would find it motivating for you to rat him out to his supervisor. [Please ignore that last smart-a question, going down my sarcastic paths is rarely productive!]

My mail order pharm co reps have recently begun asking me each month if I have missed any shots, as well as a few other questions which I find almost equally annoying. (I think my annoyance is largely fueled by their simultaneously having pulled a HIPAA violation on me. I would prefer they just pay attention to doing their job right & I will do mine. I feel like asking them how many HIPAA violation they have committed this month! So far my job performance ratings are far superior to theirs!) Ironically, just as they have begun asking, I have nearly missed a shot or 2 -- something I had never done in 5+ years. Cause & effect? ? ?

Since you have raised the issue, I am curious. . . Are you not getting the shots on schedule? Do you have some extra meds the pharm doesn't know about? Deciding to take a tx break? All of the above are totally only your business, but your post has made me curious.

Time for me to go home to shot up & take my 9 pm pills. Take care,
- lawnerd
Old 07-21-2007, 10:36 AM

Hi lindalinda:

For some reason your post hit a nerve with me. I do not live in the States so I really can't comment, but that's hasn't stopped me before.

Rude and threatening behaviour is abusive. He sounds like a bad collection agent.

If something like that were to happen to me I would contact national media and make sure the story got out. That kind of treatment would not be tolerated and the drug company would look pretty foolish.

There is huge money in CRAB's and it is a competitive business. It is becoming seriously bad business when they bully patients so they can get their money. It's not about you or your health - it's about their bottom line.

I could sputter more, but I won't. I will say I am sorry you have to put up with such verbally abusive behaviour and invasion of privacy. You should be free to keep your treatment information between you and your doctor without a large corporation interferring.

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light
Old 07-21-2007, 11:15 AM

I just read a similar story about this that occurred recently with a Shared Solutions/Copaxone rep. In fact, a few people spoke up at that time and said they had been getting somewhat heavy-handed treatment lately.

As it turns out, apparently your neuro/neuro's office will likely have "checked off" whether he is to be informed if the pharma learns you are not compliant with taking the drug. Since the pharma's maintain records on your ordering history, it won't take them long to figure out if you are missing doses or have quit all together.

I would call my neuro's office first to complain that you feel you are being harrassed. I'd ask whether they have checked the form off, saying they want to informed when you are not taking the drug 100% compliant. If they say yes, that's where you make the change/complaint. If they say no, I'd phone back the company and tear a limb off them. But that's just me.

Cherie

Jean-Martin Charcot, 1825 - 1893
Old 07-21-2007, 12:53 PM

So why don't you all just refill your prescription on a regular basis "as prescribed", whether you actually TAKE the medicine "as prescribed" or not, and just not deal with nosy pharmacists or doctors or whoever?

I try very hard to be compliant with my meds, but generally have a dose or two..or sometimes more...at the end of the month when I'm supposed to be done. So I just get the refills as usual, and don't worry about it. I catch up sometimes, or I'll just end up with "extras" some point down the line.

You all are making it a MUCH bigger deal that it as to be.

And if you purposefully NOT taking your meds, that should be a discussion between you and your doctor, not you and the pharmacist, or a drug company rep.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Community Member

Default What form is the doctor check off form for notification of people not taking meds?

I didn't know there was one. I just sent the pharm a prescription from my doc. I don't think there is a "notify the doctor" form on the prescription . I think this question is a pharmacy profit issue.

If the drug company makes 50 bucks a day off me, they must be motivated to get their $50. The same beta drug has been made the same way for years, so they have got the machines paid for. all they have to pay for is a few bucks to the druggies who sell their plasma, and the pharm workers who strain it and do whatever-whatever to resell it to me.

I also question beta interferon being one size fits all--everybody gets the same dose regardless of body mass. Why does a 100 pound person get the same dose as a 500 pound person?

When my back is hurtiong a lot i sometimes miss a dose or two because i don't want to hurt more bending over to inject. yes, my husband did inject me one time and he jabbed very hard. no do-over second chances with me.

Must be nice to have lots of money left over for drug copays wheter you have drugs leftover at home or not. Sour grapes here--i can only get them when i am out, and then my charge card bill just grows again.

I am tired and cranky and just tired of being ruded at. mostly i posted for a sypathetic "there-there" pat on my shoulder.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Community Member

I too am outraged! The Copaxone pharmacy is horrible with refills. They are worse than car salesmen. I tried to change my rx to a 90-day supply just so they don't hound me every month and my neuro's office called my rx company, etc. etc. To make a long story short, my rx company said it will work fine but it has yet to do so, they still only fill 30 days at a time and then start calling me after 2 weeks EVERY time...... It's just horrible. Then add the Shared Solutions people calling every month or so and it's like somones ALWAYS calling me.

To make matters worse, I have not done my shots for the last 3 weeks.....now it's time to refill. I just know the same things is going to happen to me. I also have PMR (an rhuem. arthritis-like disease) in the muscles of the shoulders and hips, yes like I want to inject in those places when that's flaring up...That;s MY choice and I'll emplain to my doctor NOT the pharmacy (or SS for that matter!). My copay is not that much, but I don't want them sitting around taking up space in my refigerator either when I already have one box in there.

Sorry for my rant on top of yours! It really is my pat on the back though! It stinks that it's all about money.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Wow.
I guess I would have said 'are trying to be funny or are you trying to lose your job?'

Like we need that kind of garbage.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 AM

lindalinda,

Just thought I'd check your thread on my way home to shoot up & take all the pills for the pm.

Question -- just what business does pharm co have telling our docs anything? I sure have not signed anything Ok-ing their blabbing to my docs. Sort of smells HIPAA-ish (as well as Big Brother - or would that be "little brother tattle tale) to me.

Also, you raise a good question about dosing strength. Seems that all of the CRABS are one size fits all. Then again, many drugs seem to be Rx'ed that way - 1 aspirin, 2 tylenol, same strength with most antibiotics for most folks, etc. When you realized most drugs were only tested on men, you would think we smaller women would be getting super well or ODing all over the place? ? ?

Hope you have worked thru some of your justified irritation, etc with the dweb at the pharm co. Like I said, I think all the CRAB makers are on a campaign to improve tx compliance. Been doing research on it and all. I'm sure it is good for us patients, but it is sure good for their wallets too.

Perhaps some med or psych type can shed some light -- I think there is evidence that if you know someone is going to "check your homework" you tend to do it more often. But there is a huge dif b/w check your homework and threaten to rat you out to the principal. BTW, I thought I was my doc's customer & the pharm's - not their child or employee. . .

Doesn't take much for me to join someone in a rant. Although a good rant can be a good thing, I do hope you are on to more pleasant things.

lawnerd
Old 07-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnerd View Post
Question -- just what business does pharm co have telling our docs anything? I sure have not signed anything Ok-ing their blabbing to my docs. Sort of smells HIPAA-ish (as well as Big Brother - or would that be "little brother tattle tale) to me.
None, IMHO.

I wasn't aware of this "check-off" procedure until recently, and apparently it does not include any permission on your part. This is strictly a procedure between the doc and pharma company (in the US, haven't heard of anything similar occuring in Canada).

I don't know if this is what's happening in this case, but it is certainly worth clarifying with the doctor's office (for everyone, not just linda). I personally feel it is an invasion of privacy.

Cherie

Jean-Martin Charcot, 1825 - 1893