BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Hydrocephalus (in memory of Braindrain aka Gina)

Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Question Insurance and Hydro

Insurance question
how do you have or get medical insurance?
Austin is pulling 12 or more units at college and is not on Social Security, he is on my health insurance, but only if he is in college as a full time student, I am not sure Austin can pull off his college in his recovery and after this bad malfunction,even though he is going back to school on this Monday... he is having a hard time mostly his slow stomach, but he is also beat down with all the work and a double revision......
What medical insurance do most of you use, please post I think this could help many others with Hydro.
Well wishes to each of you,
Deborah

P.S. any ideas on what to do with college in the midst of a chronic illness would be good too, but in the words of Austin ya, just keep keeping on...
Old 04-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Deborah
Havent been here in a long time, but as long as Austin is a full-time student you should be able to keep him on your insurance until age 23 or older in some states. I dont recall how old he is, you can also appeal your insurance to keep him on your policy. I believe there is a clause for disabled adult children.
HTH,
Suzie
GLOW
Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 PM

Suzie
Austin is 22 and with Obama's new plan he can stay on my insurance up to 26, I think, but only if he has 12 full time college units, I am not sure what thee criteria is to be considered for disabled adult children programs, I'll have to check into all this and Hydro with a movement disorder and seizure there should be help, I guess we need to look into SSI

I know for some; asking about insurance info is private, sorry to be so forward, but for me paying for insurance is indenturing me to my job and making Austin work very hard at college just to keep insurance for his health.

Ideas...welcome

Love to each of you,
Deborah
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 PM

Hey Deb,
Sorry to hear about Austins latest health issues. Big hugs all around!
As far as health insurance goes, we only had to have the girls pcp write a letter outlining their health concerns and a statement that they could not work or go to school other than very part time, if at all. Now that Kate is over 25 they want a doctors note again so they can continue to keep her on the policy. Maybe it is easier because they both on SSI/SSDI. They also both have our states version of medicaid and the state pays our private insurance premium because it is cheaper that them paying all the costs.
Hope this helps. Really hoping that Austin is back at school and doing well. Love ya girlfriend!
Lisa