BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Dystonia

Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Community Member

Default Dystonia in neck and trouble walking

Hi Everyone, I have been diagnosed as having Dystonia in my neck. I did not think to ask what form of dystonia I have. Has anyone else treated for dystonia in the neck and had benefits in their legs, etc.? Thank you.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Community Member

Default Trouble walking

Hi Spitball,

I can't say that I've been treated for cervical dystonia, but it would depend on why you were having trouble walking. Having to compensate in posture for problems with your neck can cause trouble with balance and gait, and would improve if your neck improves. If your walking problem is because you also have dystonia in your feet or legs, then treating the neck with Botox wouldn't help. Drugs for dystonia might help both problems, though. What's your feeling about the underlying cause of your walking problems?

Firebird
Old 11-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Community Member

Default Thanks for post

Hi Firebird, Thanks for the post. I have no idea what is causing the walking problems. It comes and goes. Hopefully time will tell!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 AM
New Community Member

I was being treated for cervical dystonia (head jerking back) when something I said about the way I walk made my doctor give me a trial of Sinemet. It has made a big difference in the dystonia and the walking (rather Parkinsonian)
-hope this helps in some way
Old 12-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Community Member

Default Thanks Endwell

Hi Endwell, Thank you for the information and I am glad it is helping you. I'll ask the Doctor Friday.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:51 PM
New Community Member

I suffer from cervical dystonia but so far it hasn't affected my legs. But I do get muscle spasms that can go down my back and into my chest. This can be so bad at times I am bent over double when I try to stand up. I take Soma 350 mg 4 x a day to help control them. But sometimes when the weather gets bad they get so bad, I have to go to the ER and get a shot to relax the muscles.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
New Community Member

Default micki

I have cervical torti collis for the past fifteen years. I have been very fortunate in finding two excellent physicians to treat me. The Botox shots are fairly effective, although sometimes it seems they hit the wrong spot. My previous physician in Virginia Beach would feel for sore spots in my neck, which was very effective. I now receive treatment in Tulsa and think they are beginning to do the same thing instead of relying on what has worked in my past records. I have the shots every three months, today was my day and am feeling great. If they hit the right spot I seem to have an immediate response, think this will be a good one.