BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Multiple Sclerosis

Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Linda, since I have never played the part of a contented cow being led to slaughter, I could never be as compliant as Cat Dance suggests and not make waves..

I value my privacy and the fact that I control what Meds I take or do not take. In the case of MS, there is no cure or medicine to helpus get better or even feel better, so, you talk with your Doc and he suggests a Med that may help and you agree to try it.

You agree to give it the old college try but, in no way do you committ yourself to a lifetime of this drug, especially when you feel it is not helping you. Some Docs have an unwritten contract with big pharma, to prescribe a certain Med and the Pharma may suggest (push) informing (tattling), if a patient is non compliant (take control of his/her own life).

I agree whole heartedly, with you, that this has been an invasion of your privacy and should not be just pushed aside or accepted as the norm.

You go Girl, let them know you do not appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
Linda, since I have never played the part of a contented cow being led to slaughter, I could never be as compliant as Cat Dance suggests and not make waves..

I value my privacy and the fact that I control what Meds I take or do not take. In the case of MS, there is no cure or medicine to helpus get better or even feel better, so, you talk with your Doc and he suggests a Med that may help and you agree to try it.

You agree to give it the old college try but, in no way do you committ yourself to a lifetime of this drug, especially when you feel it is not helping you. Some Docs have an unwritten contract with big pharma, to prescribe a certain Med and the Pharma may suggest (push) informing (tattling), if a patient is non compliant (take control of his/her own life).

I agree whole heartedly, with you, that this has been an invasion of your privacy and should not be just pushed aside or accepted as the norm.

You go Girl, let them know you do not appreciate it.

I'm quite offended by the compliant cow comments. Please re-read what I said -- which I'll spell out simply, for those of you who missed it:

while I don't take my medicine all the time as prescribed, I don't think it worth the trouble to deal with a pharmacist or a drug company who have no business chastising me for not being compliant, or telling my doctor that I haven't been compliant.

That whether I take my meds as scheduled or not should be a conversation between me and my doctor, not anyone else's business.

The "compliant" part is this: there are bigger battles to fight with this damned disease than a nosy pharmacist or drug company. So I fill my scripts on schedule, keep them off my back, and do what I please with my meds.

However, I do wonder why folks bother to fill the prescriptions at all if they're not going to take the meds at least nearly on schedule. The drugs are designed to be taken at uniform times at uniform dosages (the prescription part of it), and the doctor is expecting that the patient does that. If the patient takes the meds "as prescribed" and doesn't respond as the doctor expects, then the doctor should be looking to do something else. If the doctor doesn't know that the patient is skipping doses, either through laziness, or inconvenience, or unhappy with side effects, or whatever -- t

the doctor is going to try other things, when in fact if the medicine was taken as prescribed it might have done what it was supposed to do.

And yes, there have been times when my doctor has prescribed something for me, I've tried it, haven't liked it (for a variety of reasons), and I've stopped taking it. But in every case I've told my doctor that I've stopped, and why. That way, she's not thinking that I'm doing as she suggested, and she's not waiting for some change in my situation. She knows right away that I'm not taking it, and she'll either recommend something else, or (depending on the situation), let it go. But I have never played the game of pretending to take the meds, not refilling prescriptions, then having to answer to someone -- whether it's their business or not -- as to why I've not done what I was told.

That's hardly being a compliant cow, thank you very much.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Community Member

Default What a disgrace to the profession

Hi- Sorry you experienced such a rude and ignorant person. What you choose to do with medications is your business. Perhaps there should be a policy implemented when the caller has to confirm your name and date of birth before asking any questions. Maybe the person needs to be told Well, Thank you for your offer to pay for my medicine. Make the check payable to me. Wouldn't that just drop his jaw. There's no cure for Neurological conditions, but there is no cure for ignorance.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM
New Community Member

Default meds

I am not sure I want to start a bigger fight, but I am not clear what Cat means. First she said

"So I fill my scripts on schedule, keep them off my back, and do what I please with my meds."

Then later said:

"But I have never played the game of pretending to take the meds, not refilling prescriptions, then having to answer to someone -- whether it's their business or not -- as to why I've not done what I was told."

Sounds like a contradiction, but maybe I misinterpreted the meaning. Wouldn't filling prescriptions that you do not need because you missed a dose be pretending to have taken the med.

I have been on A for almost six years, and have taken a few week break a few times and once a few months. I told my neuro, and he said that is okay, in fact he said it is good to take a break sometimes, if you feel the need. As long as you get back on the meds. I think he feels that is better than getting so fed up taking them that you stop altogether.

Just my 2 cents, I do not mean to offend.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom View Post
I am not sure I want to start a bigger fight, but I am not clear what Cat means. First she said

"So I fill my scripts on schedule, keep them off my back, and do what I please with my meds."

Then later said:

"But I have never played the game of pretending to take the meds, not refilling prescriptions, then having to answer to someone -- whether it's their business or not -- as to why I've not done what I was told."

Sounds like a contradiction, but maybe I misinterpreted the meaning. Wouldn't filling prescriptions that you do not need because you missed a dose be pretending to have taken the med.

I have been on A for almost six years, and have taken a few week break a few times and once a few months. I told my neuro, and he said that is okay, in fact he said it is good to take a break sometimes, if you feel the need. As long as you get back on the meds. I think he feels that is better than getting so fed up taking them that you stop altogether.

Just my 2 cents, I do not mean to offend.
I dont think it's a contradiction...not that we should be making this about what Cat said.

I think what Cat was saying is that it's no one's business if she doesnt always take the meds as prescribed. She gets her refills and doesnt give the drug rep any information about skipping, because the rep does not need to know. It's none of their business if she skips a week and ends up with some left over at the end of the month.

The drug rep's job is to send her out the refills. It's not his job to go tattle to her doctor that she's not taking the meds. All he has to do is place the order for the refills for her.

The only person who would truly need to know, other than Cat herself, would be the doctor...and it's up to Cat to explain that to the doctor herself, not to be tattled on by the drug rep.

I havent started the meds yet myself (getting that set up next week) but if I get a phone call from a drug rep for a refill and they get snippy with me because I've got leftovers from previous Rx's of whatever drug I'll be taking, and they threaten to tell my doctor that I'm not taking my meds, that drug rep's boss will be getting a serious earful of complaints about the rep's lack of professionalism. Not to mention that I'll be writing formal letters of complaint to the drug companies about the way their representatives treat the patients.

I'm already not one of the most compliant when it cmes to taking medication, but over the last 6 months, everytime I've had to have a med like an antibiotic, I've been so compliant, that I swear my doctor thinks that I've been abducted by aliens and replaced with a look-a-like. I think I've grown up a lot over the last year (finally...) and I'll probably be poking myself with needles within the next month, daily...and I probably wont take breaks from the meds unless it's a holiday or I'm on vacation.

I just hope that taking these meds wont cause me problems when I start back to school in the fall. I'm worried about the side effects causing me problems in school.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
I'm quite offended by the compliant cow comments. Please re-read what I said -- which I'll spell out simply, for those of you who missed it:
I'm sorry Cat, if what I said offended you. I didn't mean that you were a contented cow, only that I wasn't.

I felt like you were scolding us for not just going along, peacefully, with whatever our Doc and Pharma say we should do. If I took you wrong, I'm sorry, Mom..
Old 07-26-2007, 02:06 PM

I do what I please with my meds...but I keep my doctor informed If I decide to not take them...or find that I'm being non-compliant and not taking them...I tell my doctor. I don't feel it necessary to quarrel with a pharmacist or a drug company rep -- but I do feel it necessary to keep my doctor informed about what I'm doing...or not doing...with meds she's prescribed.

I do miss a dose from time to time. Sometimes several doses. Sometimes by the end of the month there might be 3-4 doses of something I've missed. Rather than try to explain my lapses to people who don't need to have explanations, I simply refill my prescriptions -- assuming I intend to take them and take them more regularly next month -- and go about my business.

And if I don't intend to take them, then I tell my doctor, and stop. And then should the pharmacy call me, I simply tell them the prescription is no longer valid, and the conversation ends.

Not a contradiction...just...those who NEED to know about my "drug habits" will know; those who don't, won't.

Just my 2 cents, I do not mean to offend.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-26-2007, 02:08 PM

Sally, I don't ever think ANYONE should "go along peacefully" with what we're told. We should ALWAYS question. But there are battles worth fighting, and battles not worth fighting. And battles with a nosy pharmacist and/or drug company rep aren't worth the effort this thread has generated. Fill your script, and then talk with your doctor about why you're not taking the meds on schedule, if that's the issue. Or DON'T fill your script, and tell your doctor you're not going to take the drug anymore. But don't expend your already limited energy challenging folks that are only in it for the $$ anyway -- the pharmacists and drug reps. They're just not worth your effort.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Community Member

I agree Cat that my ranting (especially) is wasted energy since so far, I've only done it here... Although I did try to change the rx to a 90-day supply to extend the timing of each problem.

Just so you understand a little of the Copaxone pharmacy ranting, it is MUCH worse. I used to be on Betaseron also and it was no big deal. I refilled as needed. C is filled by mail order only by ONE pharmacy only. They must have one weeks notice and (for some reason) can not manage to give me more than 30 days worth of meds. This means I get a shipment and (literally) they start calling me again EVERY day at day 14. I work, so the automated caller leaves me long messages on my machine each day. Oddly enough, this week I am working from home all week and they have decided to call my work number and leave messages there for this month...go figure! For some reason, this month it's not automated either, I have no idea why. It really is pushy, like car sales. I'm not a very pushy person myself (I need to work on that in all areas!). I am calling them today and tell them that I WILL CALL when I want a refill.

For what it's worth, I am doing my shots again now and like you would, I will inform my doctor of my 3 week lapse when I see him next. Since I know that he is concerned for my overall health (not just my MS-even though he's my neuro) he will be fine with this, that's why I didn't call him. I do agree with the original poster though, If the pharmacy or Shared Solutions were to notify him, I would not be happy. I still don't think that's right.

I understand what you're saying and agree in general, it does feel good just to vent once in a while. I have honestly considered this medication to be not such a great decision at times based soley on the "hard sell" tactics they employ. That's pretty pathetic!

Take care,

Kelly
Old 07-26-2007, 04:49 PM

I think if the copaxone folks bugged me that much I'd be all over their case too. The betaseron folks (I'm on Betaseron) stopped calling me a long time ago when I told them...rather bluntly (but that's just me!)...I'm an adult, I'll take the meds as I choose, if I need you, I'll call you, otherwise don't call me!..and they stopped.

Venting is ALWAYS a good thing, by the way. And I don't mean to be critical of you, really...just a larger message here. Fight the BIG battles, let the little skirmishes go. Life is easier that way.