BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain Whatever the cause, support for managing long term or intractable pain.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:35 PM
New Community Member

Default I'm so tired of pain

I am told here that it's been a year since my last visit. I try to keep my thoughts away from my pain and not to dwell on it, but since my body is always aching it's difficult to do.

This past year I have been taking Ultram 100 mg ER and Lyrica 75 mg. three times a day plus a half tablet of Norco as needed. Lately I take a 1/2 tablet of Norco about every 3 - 4 hours.

I have lived in pain on the right side of my body for 18 years. It started when I first overstrained my neck looking up while house painting 10 hours a day for 4 days. For the past 2 years, in addition to the neck, I now also have lower back pain on the right side. I think it's all osteoarthritis. In my neck I think it also involves the facet joints at the C 5 to C 7 level.

Last week when I saw my doctor, a PMR doc, I told him I'm tired of being on all the meds due to all the side effects I live with. He told me to start cutting back by reducing the Lyrica by one pill per week. I see him next Tues. for a cortisone injection to the SI joint. I had a cortisone injection to my neck 2 months ago, but the pain benefits only lasted a month and I only received a little relief.

I can't just get off the meds without replacing them with something else, plus I'm very addicted to the Ultram. Is there anything else I can be doing to get more relief? I will be discussing this more with my doc when I see him on Tues., but I'd also like your advice too.

I read in a journal from England that they are investigating and having good results with stem cells from the patient's own body. They mix the cells into a gel and inject them into the vertebrae. Eventually the cells multiply a build new tissue. Has anyone heard of this? Is there anything I can do that is better than taking pills?

Every so often I get exasperated with the way I live. I try to be tolerant, knowing that many people have a cross to bear, but I want to live a better life than I do with this pain. Is there any help out there for me?

Thank you in advance for anything you can offer? I remember what a wonderful group of people you are.

Very sincerely,
Barbara
Old 10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Hey Barbara I am sorry to hear you ae suffering. I am not in any way in the medical profession, so this is just my opinion, but you are not on that strong of meds to my knowledge. Now since you have said you want off the meds, I'm not sure where you want to go, but I am not aware of any current viable programs that can replace stem cells and or regenerate nerves. If you want no meds, I think the options are surgery, massage, acupuncture or acupressure and things like that, things that are often used in conjuncture with the meds.

I'm with you on wishing I didn't have to take the meds, but I have stopped to see how bad the pain really was and I found out pretty darn quick how bad it was and why I chose to go on meds in the first place. If you are willing to stay on meds and of course you work with your doc, have you thought about possibly using some of the bigger guns out there. As I said, Ultram and 1/2 of hydrocodone are usually where a pain patient starts and with the pain you have, I would think stronger meds might give you much better pain management. But that is only a decision you and your doc can make.

I'm sorry I don't have any better options for you and hope you feel better.

Melissa
Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Barbara, I understand your lament and have been there many times myself. There are several alternatives for you to consider that my work or may do little to deal with your pain. You can get more aggressive with the injections but understand that some doctors use them as a money maker. You could see if you are a candidate for a SCS -spinal cord stimulator or even a pump surgically inserted to regulate medication on a regular basis. You could also try one of the all day medications to see if it controls your pain enough to take just one a day. Keep researching as there are choices for you even though stem cell isn't an option yet.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 PM

"I'm so tired of pain"

I came to realize that appears I will be dealing with it probably the rest of my life..Which really sucks because I am only 38 and because I spent 6 years stabilizing my heart only for a back surgery that worked great but lasted only 8 years...I take a handfull of Percocet with a Morphine chaser at nite to sleep...Doctors say cant do anything else due to my cardio condition...The biggest thing since the pain started in January and a failed surgery in March is that I get very grumpy with the wife and kids....I have focused alot on correcting that...As far as the pain its just constant...Life really sucks but at least I am still alive...
Old 10-11-2008, 10:37 PM
New Community Member

Default I'm so tired of pain

Thanks everyone for replying to my post. I kinda knew the answer to my own question, I just hoped that there was something out there I didn't know. When I see my doc on Tuesday I'll ask him what is the next step beyond Cortisone injections. They don't seem to work that well for me.

If there isn't any better answer than just different meds, I'm going to check out HGH (human growth hormone). I'm 68 yrs. old so what have I got to lose.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

Barbara