BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 10-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default To Froglady

Quote:
Does anyone here know more about gluten free diets than I do and where I can find information on how to avoid foods or a list of foods that is full of gluten? Sure would appreciate it.
Hi Froglady, I took this quote from you off the Endocrine and Gland Disorders forum.

Just in case you have not found this already, a good place to find a list of "forbidden and safe" GF foods is on celiac.com http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Learning to read labels and recheck labels is important in staying GF. As of Jan 2006 all labels have to list the top 8 allergens. Wheat is one of these. What we have to watch out for are the other gluten grains, barley and rye. Barley is often a hidden ingreadient. Malt unless stated otherwise is probably barley. Barley can be part of "natural flavors".

Do you have any specific questions? Would be happy to help.
Anne
Old 10-07-2006, 05:35 PM

Hi Froglady,

Those lists that Anne posted are extremely helpful! I took them with me to the store each time. After awhile you get to know what's on the list. The new labeling laws have helped in determining what's GF and what's not.

Another thing you can do is shop for food that is clearly labeled and won't hide gluten in things like natural flavors, modified food starch.

Here are some of the biggies in the food industry:

Unilever Family Product List
Con Agra Family Product List
Kraft Family Product List

In each of these posts, there are links to info on how to correctly read labels and identify gluten.

In products other than what come from these companies - it never hurts to verify the product's status with the company via phone or email.

Last edited by aklap; 10-07-2006 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add a comment about Safe & Forbidden lists
Old 10-07-2006, 06:07 PM

AWSOME LISTS!

Thanks,
Anne
Old 10-07-2006, 06:13 PM

Can't forget the snacks. Here is the link to FritoLay
http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/c...dID_364066.htm

Hershey's will not hide gluten - watch out for malt

Anne
Old 10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
New Community Member

alright!!!!!!!!! Thank for all the info folks,,,,,now I'm off to make copies. ohhh wait!!!

You asked if I had any questions in particular and I don't right now, but chances are, I will have. I'm not diagnosed with anything but have suspected a couple of things for a long time and want to be armed with backup information when I go to the dr and ask for specific tests. So far the only thing I take is Lavoxyl,,,the reason I was over in the glandular disorders part of the forum and I am also still pretty new to the forums so I'm still finding my way around. I only started a few weeks before BT crashed and have patiently been waiting for it to be up and running again so I can do some research. I listen to symptoms and things that everyone is talking about to try to discover why I sometimes have distended stomach, constipation, sore feeling all over, general tiredness and just a loss of interest in my normal hobbies. Just don't feel like it,,is a daily mood here lately and I want to find out what is wrong without the dr. giving me 30 meds before he finds out what it is.
Anyway,,,,,thanks for the url's...each one is a bit more information to add to my notes.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:02 PM

Hi Froglady,

A couple more safe food lists:
GF Products- Mainstream- Wheaton Gluten Free Support Group

Delphi Celiac Forum Safe Product List

For basics, plain meats, vegetables, fruit, rice and potatos are all gluten free. It is the processed foods and products that get tricky.

If you haven't had the blood tests run for celiac disease, and plan to, don't start removing gluten from your diet yet. There is a page about Diagnostic Testing in The Gluten File linked below my name. Don't want to overwhelm you all at once, so I'll stop here.

Cara
Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 PM

Hi Frog,

One thing to keep in the back of your mind...lists like that can get out of date rather quickly. The GF Mainstream list has not been updated since March of 2005! That's getting a bit on the old side. Things that were GF then - may not be GF now. Product formulations change quickly, often without notice.

The Delphi lists are kept up to date much more frequently, but still, you are always wise to 1) ALWAYS read the label 2) If you question something, put it back until you get verification of it. You can do that by calling or emailing the company. Some people have great luck calling right from the store.

Cara's right [as usual ] - don't go GF until you've had the testing done.

Last edited by aklap; 10-09-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 PM

Don't go GF if you want blood tests but there is another way to test. www.enterolab.com does stool tests for gluten sensitivity. Celiac disease is defined by villous atrophy or skin lesions called dermatitis herpetiformis. Enterolab cannot tell you if you have CD or DH but can determine if you are making antibodies to gluten and if you are having an autoimmune reaction to gluten.

Enterolab tests can be positive for 1-2 years after going GF. The problem with using Enterolab is that it is not accepted by most doctors at this time. You may want to take the time to read Dr. Fine's essay. https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPage...yDiagnosis.htm

There are people who find that they feel better off gluten and are happy with that decision and want no further testing. You do not need a prescription to change your foods.

Distended stomach and fatigue are certainly can be symptoms of gluten sensitivity. I had both of those and many more.

Hope you find some answers to better health.
Anne