BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
And Electra- you mention that I should have my son's levels for pre Albumin, Creatine, Vit K, Iron, etc tested. What would these show me?
Pre-Albumin shows immediate absorption of foods, where as Albumin shows over time (from my memory now, so I might be off a little)
Creatine shows whether or not muscle tissue is being burned for body functions vs nutritients from food
Vit K levels show potential malabsorption issue
Iron same as Vit K show potential malabsorption
Actually all these show how well the body is using what it's being fed.
If malabsorption is taking place, then the intestines are usually to blame, Celiac or not.

I would take my son straight to a Pedi GI familar with Celiac disease. I got lucky and our pediatrician has a patient with CD, so she was familiar with it. She didn't quite have the testing right though, the Pedi GI was able to order the correct test.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 AM
New Community Member

I came across this article which many may find helpful. It explains why many people get a false negative result for celiac desease. I hope you find it of help:

http://www.foodreactions.org/gluten/index.html#negative

Simon
Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Thanks for the link Simon - lots of interestng info among the pages there. I would am cautious about the recommendation that enzymes can be used in order to eat gluten.

Here is a site that gives a good overview of enzymes and celiac. They are not ready for prime time yet. http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionceliac.htm

Anne