BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Restless Leg Syndrome

Old 02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
New Community Member

Default Plmd

Hi all, I am new to this. About 7 months ago I started having muscle twitches and slight pain in different areas of my body. This happens any time of day but I definitely notice it more when I am at rest. I have had several tests done, including an EMG and a sleep study and the sleep study concluded that I have periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD). The study said I am waking up 15 times per hour due to leg movements. My wife does not notice anything so I guess the movements must be pretty slight. I usually don't notice anything and generally sleep through the night without realizing that I am waking up. However, my pain and twitching occurs throughout the day. I also tend to feel tired throughout the day and often feel like I am not getting enough sleep even though I usually get about 8 hours every night. The doctor diagnosed me with RLS and PLMD and is prescribing me some medication which I will be starting tonight.

My questions is, do these symptoms sound familiar to other sufferers of RLS and PLMD? Are there any other steps that I can take to help reduce my symptoms and get a better sleep? Also, are there any long term effects from this that I should be worried about? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 AM
New Community Member

I just typed out an extensive reply that did not post! Discouraging. Anyway, long story short, I was diagnosed 6 years ago at the age of 13, I have had many sleep studies & tried different medications etc etc. I have on average 63 significant movements an hour resulting in subconscious wakefulness. I also have delayed sleep phase and take a few things for that, but the drug that I have found to be most effective is over the counter melatonin, recommended by my neurologist. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I have never spoke with/met anyone with my condition before and would love to talk about it!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM
New Community Member

I have suffered from PLMD for years and found that it may be the result of 20 years of psychiatric meds probably caused it in the first place. Two psychiatrists think so. I also had severe sleep apnea. I have had seven surgeries on my breathing appratus, my throat and nose that caused headaches as well. ( Now cured from the first throat surgery.) I am beginning to think that I may be just suffering from allergies. My nose shuts down, I think according to the allergens in the environment. I am pursuing this and anything else that might relate to sleep disorders. Now I'm taking LAMOTRIGINE. It might help the seizures in my legs. I rarely get much real sleep. But the jumping of my legs at night is one of the worst problems. Email me if you want to know something that works for the leg problem. jeffbull70@yahoo.com

Last edited by jeffbull70@yahoo.com; 06-27-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: rewrite
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Distinguished Community Member

hello to everyone. my daughter has had sleeping problems all her life it seems. i remember even when she was a big girl and the occasional time we shared a bed when camping or etc, that her legs could keep me awake all night with their relentless moving. and now that she is married, she says her husband is always telling her to be still as well.

Her neurologist finally put her on a medicine for parkinson patients. she aslo has trouble staying awake as late as her husband likes (tho he may be in bed at 12 noon himself). It seems that something must change for the better with her sleeping, leg movements. so far she has halved her medication because of how it makes her feel. she has that drugged feeling far to long into the day after she does get up.

I feel bad for anyone having this as it does make for bad night and days as well. I also want to say thank you for sharing here on BrainTalk. this place has been a favorite of mine for years and I am usually on the forum for emotional support.